Need help creating SMS groupsSupport

Last Updated:

1. sghere

sghere Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Coming from a Blackberry, I was able to create a "Group" and add people to that group so that I could send SMS Text messages to those in that group rather than having to add each one individually each time.

I haven't found a way to do this on the new Droid. Is there some software/trick that I'm missing?

I used this for work when multiple people need to get the same message at the same time.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!

Shayne

Advertisement
  2. Droidian

Droidian Member

yeah i really need to figure this out too. I have about 30 or so people to text on a daily basis.

3. sghere

Bump?

4. sesso

sesso Active Member

use handcent

5. sghere

Thanks for the suggestion. Being new to the Andriod market is like going from PC to a Mac. ;)

I'm assuming that the OS doesn't have anything like this built in then....:rolleyes:

Shayne

6. sesso

sesso Active Member

It could if they really wanted to I'm sure LOL.

7. punkzanyj

punkzanyj Well-Known Member

download Contacts GroupU. Allows you to manage Gmail Contact Groups for anything, SMS, email, creating group ringtones, it's awesome.

8. ursine1

ursine1 Member

Sounds great, but doesn't work with Droid yet.

9. aaronbrannt

aaronbrannt Member

BUMP This is a very important issue. Has anyone tried making groups on gmail and seeing how that transfers to the phone?

10. aaronbrannt

aaronbrannt Member

Okay, I created a group on my Gmail contacts named All and added my phone contacts to it. It didn't do a thing. I can't believe a feature like this isn't supported out of the box, any ideas as to why Google is dropping the ball on integration?

11. aaronbrannt

aaronbrannt Member

Here to verify that Contacts GroupU does not work on my Droid. The UI looked great before it crashed, I'm pretty jealous of those who can use it. I used Handcent to send a mass text and it worked but the system is lacking in features and has a lame UI.

12. Redflea

Redflea Well-Known Member

Have you guys told the Group4u developer that you'd like him to update his App for Android 2.0/Droid?

Big new audience for him...maybe he just needs a little encouragement.

13. aaronbrannt

aaronbrannt Member

That's a good idea. I'm going to email him now.

14. sesso

sesso Active Member

I'm using group u and handcent together. It works well.

15. mccoubd

mccoubd Member

I also have a requirement to send sms messages to large groups of people so being a recent user of Droid (Samsung Galaxy S2) I found it very frustrating to find an app that managed this most basic of functions on a Blackberry.

After some trial and error on a few apps i.e. Handcent, Go SMS Pro then Chomp SMS https://market.android.com/details?id=com.p1.chompsms&hl=en I decided on Chomp and have actually paid for the app and it works great.

Handcent was very good but I found it tiresome because when sending a group message it listed each recipient individually in the menu which meant if someone responded and I needed to reply to all I had to go back into my contacts to select the group again.

Go SMS Pro looked to have overcome this problem as it listed just one entry in the message list with the message. However, I had problems trying to get Go SMS Pro to read the groups I had already setup within my contacts ( I use Gmail and sync my contacts from there.)

Finally I tried Chomp SMS - it lists the sent message under one entry in the inbox and reads the Groups in my Contacts effortlessly.

It is a free APP but whenever it did waht I needed I purchased it to remove the small ad. So fo

16. bjdavis

bjdavis New Member

For as much money as we spend on todays technology I like to use what i paid for already.

I have a Droid 3 and I just created a new contact group in my contacts and set it as a "Texting Group"

for more instruction go to eHow website and search for
    How to Create a Group Text Message Distribution List

i hope this helps.