• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need Help! Custom boot animation w/ sound?

DDustiNN

Android Enthusiast
Dec 10, 2009
So I pretty much have the custom boot animations figured out... It seems to work whether I put bootanimation.zip in /data/local or /system/media no problem... but the one thing I can't figure out is how to get a sound to play. I've tried every combination I can think of... boot.mp3 in the zip file, android_audio.mp3 in the zip file... tried the zip without the mp3, just placing the mp3 in the same directory as the zip (and also tried both names that way, in both directories stated above).

Is there something I'm supposed to add to the desc.txt file? What am I missing?? The only info I can find for the Eris is just "put a boot.mp3 in the zip file" which is just not working...

I am almost ready to explode...

Any help?? It would be much appreciated!

May be a dumb question but do you have your media volume turned up when you reboot the phone to test your boot sound?

Found this as well, not sure if it helps with your problem tho...

"Include an audio clip named boot.mp3 in your bootanimation.zip."
If that doesn't work, its because there was no original script to include a sound... just the desc.txt which tell the proportions and order.... I forget but I think it was a boot_animation.xml that include script to have sound in the bootanimation.. some roms use desc.txt and some boot_animation.xml to tell the phone what to do...
I got it to work before, but im pretty sure the current boot animation I was using contained an xml file that told it to play sound.

Upvote 0
Yes, Media Volume is definitely up (that controls the sound when I "click" on stuff, which I like, so I know it is up).

I read that same thing you posted, but I also read that the .xml was used in 1.5, and then 2.1 changed it to the desc.txt method. Will the .xml method still work in 2.1? And if so, where should it reside and is there a sample file I use for reference?

Upvote 0
i know the fresh rom used a xml file for boot animation and sound and it was a 2.1 rom.

you could d/l the fresh rom, pull the bootanimation folder from the media directory and copy the xml file to your phone/media directory. i think that would work. when you pull the one from the fresh rom you can open the xml file to get an idea of how it tells the phone to use the animation and sound when booting.

Upvote 0
I found one, but it looks like it uses animated .gif files... sucks cuz the one I want to use is a bunch of .png files :(

I'll test it out just to see if it works anyway, then I'll at least have something to start with...

Do you know a way to convert a series of .png files into animated .gif without any loss of quality?

Upvote 0
Alright, no luck with the .xml method... It just simply doesn't acknowledge it. It works fine using the bootanimation.zip method, in either location, but if I remove/rename them and try the /system/media/bootscreen location with .xml, .gif, and .mp3 files, it completely ignores them. Is there a setting somewhere that I am missing? Like maybe some sort of switch that says "LOOK HERE FOR BOOT ANIMATION" or something?

I've even tried taking the /system/bin/bootanimation file from a different ROM (with sound) and replacing mine with it, but then it doesn't even run.

There has to be something simple I'm missing and I just have no idea what it is...

FYI I'm using a non-Sense ROM if that makes any difference...

Anybody?? :(

Upvote 0
I tried using this method...

[HOW-TO]--Stock Bootscreen w/ Sound - xda-developers

...and had no luck. It just simply ignores it for some reason, and instead it plays some sort of default animation (it says "android" in blue with a circle toward the end). That's the animation that plays if I don't have a bootanimation.zip file in either /data/local or /system/media location (either one works).

Upvote 0
dude, i think i figured it out. and its simple.

this may only work on white widow 4.6, but it works for me

first, change your notification sounds in your email, text, etc programs to your liking in those specific apps.

then, go into system settings, and change notification sound to the sound that you want on boot.

and like a guy said before, make sure the volume is up before rebooting. :)

let me know if it works for you.

Upvote 0
Yep that does work (told you I tried everything, lol... found that solution on a Moto Droid forum), but that's not what I want it to do. Problem is, when using it that way, the sound plays toward the end of the boot animation. Also, it will say "Droid" every time I plug my phone into my computer (also unwanted). I'd prefer to keep my notification the same.

I want the "DROID" sound to play at the beginning, when the Droid logo comes up.

Like this:

YouTube - Droid Incredible w/ Droid X boot animation & new sound

Except I'm using a different sound file (just "DROID" and that's it - don't really want the transformers affect).

And I just can't get anything to work like that :(

Upvote 0
Ok, lets get a little more info on this. What rom are you running? What boot animation are you trying to use? and what sound are you trying to play with it? Is it the one in the video you posted with just the droid sound?

I just tried putting an mp3 in my system/media folder and that was a no go for me too, im running aloysius with the default boot that comes with it.

You said it was a bunch of png files, have you tried finding a program that compiles them info a gif for you and then using that gif on an xml bootanimation folder along with your mp3? I found a bunch when i did a google search for fre gif compiler.

Edit. ok I made a bootscreen folder in my media. Added a gif and mp3 and edited the xml to reflect the correct file names and that worked for me. seems to be the best option would be to find a gif you like or find a way to compile the pngs.

Upvote 0
I am running White Widow 4.5 and trying to get the Droid sound (I have an mp3 of it). I've tried with the animation that comes with the ROM (it's that electric X one), and I've tried with the Droid X boot animation - both of these were tried in various combinations of naming it boot.mp3 or android_audio.mp3 and putting it in the same directory as the zip file, as well as trying it with the mp3 within the zip file (no compression). I've tried these combinations in both /data/local and /system/media. I've also tried the .gif/.mp3/.xml method by placing them in the /system/media/audio/bootscreen folder. For this method, I tried using the exact file/folder structure from CookieRom, since that one was noted to be working. Using this method, I got absolutely nothing. However, it has been stated by others that this method works when using a Sense-based ROM. So there has to be some sort of setting in a script somewhere, but I just have no idea where else to look...

So it seems that however the White Widow ROM (and others using the same base) does not call for a sound to be played alongside the bootanimation.zip (though the animation plays when it's in either of the first two folders mentioned), and it also has absolutely no call to the /system/media/bootscreen folder.

There has to be a way to add this to non-Sense ROMs, but I am just at a loss and it's driving me insane :(

Upvote 0
Why are you putting bottscreen folder in the audio subfolder? When I tried it, I placed the bootscreen folder in the system/media subfolder and everything worked for me.

My mistake... I was just going by memory, which is not so good sometimes ;)
I just looked in my phone and it is in /system/media/bootscreen (I left the file structure there). Edited post to fix that, thanks.

Are you using a Sense-based ROM? Those seem to work fine with this method. It's the non-Sense ROMs that seem to lack the audio initialization somewhere, as I've seen others have the same problem on various other ROMs.

Upvote 0
Yeah I'm on sense. At first I thought that was your problem, that you were running an asop rom. But I know the moto droid doesnt run sense and it has the droid boot sound and animation right? Can you find the bootscreen files from the droid forum and compare it to the eris ones to see what the differences are and how to get the sound working?

I will have to try and get a boot with sound on WW when i get home from work tonight. Seems like it should work the same as a sense based rom but i guess not.

Upvote 0
Yep I remember looking into that too, still not having any luck. The only solutions I ever find all over the place are the ones I've listed in this thread. If you figure out how to get this going on a non-Sense ROM I just may love you forever.

I only recommend trying it if you don't value your sanity ;)
This has kept me up late for days, and has wasted way too much of my time at home and at work. It's just getting ridiculous now...

Upvote 0
I'm also having the same problem. Only I'm using stock 2.1 rom rooted...

I've been able to replace the boot animation itself by pushing bootanimation.zip (must be ZERO compression!! "store" option in 7zip) to data/local

as for the sound during boot, it just doesn't work. i've pushed it to system/media, data/local and system/customize/resource all to no avail. Sound is turned up all the way before i reboot...

This too is driving me crazy. It seems to work without a hitch for Moto Droid. Like I said, my custom boot animation i made works, just not the sound. I do remember the Eris playing a sound with the default HTC/Verzion bootscreens.

I'm stumped. Anyone who figures this out will be my hero.

Upvote 0
hmm... now i know this was the old 1.5 bootscreen, but i'm wondering if this will still work with 2.1. gonna test it out in a bit just by adding the one he has in that thread.

[HOW-TO]--Stock Bootscreen w/ Sound - xda-developers

if so, might be why sound isn't working on Eris. It's not setup to handle the sound the same way droidx/incred are? I dunno, this is my first stab at messing with this for the Eris.

Edit:: Update This method worked. This restored the old bootscreen WITH sound. I take it the 2.1 Eris isn't setup the same way as droidx/incred while it initiliazes the bootscreens.

Only way I can see is taking the template above, adding your own animated gifs and sound, edit the xml file to suit your needs, and following the method in the above post. I'll let you know in a bit if it works.

Upvote 0
[FONT=&quot]Hi I'm looking for a complete how to on installing a custom boot animation. Everyone has different ways of doing it and the information is scattered. I've been obsessing over this for the past two days and called out of work just to figure this out. I have the HTC Incredible (Verizon Wireless). Can anyone help me please I've done all this and can’t get it to work.... please help soon I’m going to swan dive off the roof if I don’t get this soon!!! Thank you all I appreciate it[/FONT] Oh one more think Im using a PC...thought I would include that

http://androidforums.com/tips-tricks-incredible/93514-htc-incredible-boot-animation-guide.html

Upvote 0
What I have read on XDA is that some ROMs do not support sound...I am using nonsenikal 13.7...they suggest getting the bootanimation file out of the ROM system/bin file of a ROM that supports sounds on boot, and then reflashing your ROM with the subsituted bootanimation file in the system/bin dir. Than loading the bootanimation.zip with sound in the data/local I dont know, it seems like more than I am willing to try being this new to rooting...

Upvote 0
OK, I figured it out, sort of.

First I downloaded and flashed the cookie ROM (it supports sound in the boot)
Then I changed the boot animation to the R2D2 boot screen with sound and it worked just fine, sound and all.

So I decided to try it out. I took the nonsensikal 13.7 vanilla and changed bootanimation file in the system/bin with the one in the cookie system/bin. I then put the boot animation I wanted in the system/media folder and rezipped it and then flashed it to my eris.

That is where the problem arises. It failed because it said the /system/bin/bootanimation was the wrong digest. So As I said I am very new to this whole rooting thing, but it seems that if I can get the nonsensikal ROM to work with the bootanimation file from the cookie ROM to work then all problems will be solved.

anyone have any ideas how to do this?

Upvote 0
Yeah I downloaded the 13.2 ROM but havent flashed it yet. THe only issue I have experienced with 13.7 is I cant connect to wifi. It wont get an IP address from the router...But everything else does so it must be limited to the phone...

But the sound boot isnt an issue with the 13.7 exactly. The problem is nonsensikal uses the boot animation from the /data/local drive and uses the desc.txt and files lists for the picture. The other way to do it for sound with animation is the /system/media files and using gif's and xml files. it is all determined by the bootanimation file in the /system/bin, and i cant just swap them from one ROM to another....but

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones