• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need help deciding on a ROM (my 1st ROM)

theres a zip file around here somewhere (xtreme, if you have it, could ya link it pls?) that you flash just like a rom, go into recovery, update with the zip, and from then on youll be using amon for recovery. There is quite a tangiable difference between them.... im at work(at a callcenter) so i dont have my bookmarks etc to easily post the link.... ::wishing there was more time to goof off here lol::

Ok Ok I think extreme was kind enough to post it a few posts up. I did see the link for download.

What is the difference between them and why do people prefer RA? Clockwork has been so easy for me!

Upvote 0
Ok Ok I think extreme was kind enough to post it a few posts up. I did see the link for download.

What is the difference between them and why do people prefer RA? Clockwork has been so easy for me!

They are both easy to use. The difference I have seen is that Amon is more complete when it comes to wiping partitions where Clockwork(especially through Rom Manager) has had issues with it. They will both back up the same things just in Amon, it does not default to everything. There are certain ones you have to select if you want to back them up

Upvote 0
They are both easy to use. The difference I have seen is that Amon is more complete when it comes to wiping partitions where Clockwork(especially through Rom Manager) has had issues with it. They will both back up the same things just in Amon, it does not default to everything. There are certain ones you have to select if you want to back them up

But if we're using that Calkulin's tool, shouldn't that take care of all the wiping for us?

Upvote 0
But if we're using that Calkulin's tool, shouldn't that take care of all the wiping for us?

All that tool does is command a few of the wipes through the recovery rather than you having to select them yourself. The recovery is still doing the wipes so if it misses something, you could potentially have issues with the rom you flashed.

Upvote 0
All that tool does is command a few of the wipes through the recovery rather than you having to select them yourself. The recovery is still doing the wipes so if it misses something, you could potentially have issues with the rom you flashed.

crap. is it too late to go into clockwork and wipe davlik/cache :thinking:

Also in titanium back up, there's an option to wipe davlik. i've done that before and it tells me how many files its cleaned and that the wipe is complete. is that the same as doing it inside clockwork?

Upvote 0
No TI does a clean up dalvik and looks for unnecessary files, formatting the dalvik in recovery wipes the dalvik entirely. You can wipe your dalvik at will really. I usually f something up once a day and fix it with a /cache wipe and dalvik wipe. Side effect, takes longer to reboot as it has to rewrite the cache again, no biggie.

Clockwork has been known to miss somethings during a wipe, if you are running OK then no wories. A dalvik wipe wont hurt but if it aint broke...

Upvote 0
No TI does a clean up dalvik and looks for unnecessary files, formatting the dalvik in recovery wipes the dalvik entirely. You can wipe your dalvik at will really. I usually f something up once a day and fix it with a /cache wipe and dalvik wipe. Side effect, takes longer to reboot as it has to rewrite the cache again, no biggie.

Clockwork has been known to miss somethings during a wipe, if you are running OK then no wories. A dalvik wipe wont hurt but if it aint broke...

OK got it! Nice to know! I've learned so much the last 15 hrs or so! Thanks guys! You guys make this board great!

Upvote 0
OK got it! Nice to know! I've learned so much the last 15 hrs or so! Thanks guys! You guys make this board great!

Xtremedays and Evomattcn are SUCH an awesome asset to this forum, i know that theyve both helped me out more times than id EVER care to admit lol hats off to you guys and all the forumites who relentlessly provide such useful info!!! CYAIphone, youll also see alot of AWESOME stuff from ocnbreze, mr.ed, and a ton of other folks.... these folks keep this forum alive and well!!!!!

Upvote 0
Xtremedays and Evomattcn are SUCH an awesome asset to this forum, i know that theyve both helped me out more times than id EVER care to admit lol hats off to you guys and all the forumites who relentlessly provide such useful info!!! CYAIphone, youll also see alot of AWESOME stuff from ocnbreze, mr.ed, and a ton of other folks.... these folks keep this forum alive and well!!!!!

Yeah I always like to give a shout to Akaza and Mr. Ed and ocnbrze and my co-hort xtreme et. al., i learned from them and try to pass it on. We still learn from each other too, makes the forum great!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones