• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need help diagnosing sudden change in X2 behavior.

twcowdery

May 18, 2011
My phone has started acting strangely within the last couple of weeks. The problems go away (for awhile) when I reboot, but I'm having to reboot multiple times a day!

The main problem is the phone becomes partially unresponsive. By partially, I mean that I can generally open and close apps, but I can't input anything. For example, I'll get a text message, open and read it. But when I try to reply, the keyboard will pop up, but I can't actually enter anything. Nor is the problem limited to SMS. I use a 'post-it note' widget. I can open it, but I can't edit the text.

If I have a missed call, I can open to see whose call I missed, but I can't call them back. The phone icon is unresponsive and so is the dialer. Voice command will try to open, but I get a message that there is insufficient memory even though I have no apps open, and over 1.4 GB of free storage.

The only new app that I've installed recently is a calculator. I uninstalled it just in case, but I have the same one on my tablet and haven't experienced any problems. Besides, I only used it a couple of times.

Any ideas?

It sounds like you don't have enough RAM to do the basic tasks. I would check in your settings to see how much RAM you are using and how much free space you have on your internal storage.

In my experience, internal storage also seems to be used as "virtual RAM" and if you have too many apps and/or media taking up space internally, you may need to see if you can move some of that to your SD card instead.

As for actual RAM, if you have less than 256 MB available RAM, you may try force quitting running tasks to see if that helps. If it does, you would want to disable any extra tasks that aren't necessary (i.e. weather updates, social media sync, etc).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones