• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need help finding a shopping app

For what it's worth.... ToMarket is working well for me. I was able to modify the database my from Shopping Manager on my Palm Pre+ (exported it to Google Docs, downloaded it to an excel CSV file, deleted the fields not common to both apps, imported to ToMarket from the SD card) and import it into ToMarket to keep my current list setup.

Upvote 0
Had downloaded ToMarket after having used HandyShopper on my old Palm for years. ToMarket just didn't cut it for me. Very little documentation, out of date documentation, couldn't get the columns I needed while shopping. This afternoon I downloaded Out Of Milk and it was easier to use than ToMarket. Based on the enthusiasm, sense of humor and their promised upcoming improvements on their website and social media I decided to pay for the Pro version. It's MUCH better than ToMarket! I LOVE being able to enter my pantry items via my computer. The scanning feature was much better and more accurate than ToMarket. If Out of Milk had a 'getting started' tutorial, I missed it but it was pretty intuitive and I'm cruising along with my transition. That syncing feature is going to be very nice also. With my 'older eyes' I'm thankful for being able to change the font/themes. I'm still disappointed that Handy Shopper isn't available for Android but I'm thinking that Out of Milk is going to surpass it in the near future.

Upvote 0
Ok now I understand everyone wants to be efficient is there an app that lets you make one list and find the cheapest place to buy it including ads. In essence cross referencing your list with grocery ads so you don't have to look through the ads yourself? My mailman keeps not giving my ads so half the time I don't get them. Thanks in advance for your help.

Upvote 0
Mike,

I just have an Android mobile and look for a shopping list application. I have a similar story as you and I don't want to try every app. Have you found the one you want. Also I am looking for the app that can remember what I purchased last week or two weeks before. Please post ideas.

Daniel

Yes, another one of these threads. Sorry.

I'm looking for a shopping list application with some specific features. I have tried many (most? all?) of the free apps that I can find in the Market, but none seem to really do everything I want. I'm willing to buy an app, but I'm not willing to buy one without knowing that it has the features I want. For instance, I've hard Grocery King is great, and I'm more than willing to spend $4.99 to use it, but I'm not willing to just spend $4.99 to try it without knowing that it at least does what I want it to do.

FYI, I'm using a Moto Droid.

Must-Have features:

MUST have the ability to organize shopping lists by store and aisle. Must.

Must have ability to easily check-off items in the store. I shouldn't need to flick through screens or perform multiple functions just to take something off of a list.

Ability to update/share the list from Droid to Droid.

Ability to remember multiple stores and aisle patterns (as in, I sometimes shop at Wal-Mart and sometimes at Kroger, it should arrange the list for whichever store I say I'm going to).

Ability to populate the list based upon recipes (as in, I know we're making Beef Stroganoff, so I should be able to click on beef stroganoff and it will put everything needed to make it on the list)

Nice-to-Have Features:

Price tracking.

Barcode scan IF IT WORKS WELL.

Ability to specify amounts in standard units (cans of X, oz of Y, lbs of Z, etc) and ability to easily modify the amount up and down.

Ability to organize stuff by store by default (as in, you can use the app for more than just one type of shopping, and it will know that if I'm going to Home Depot it should not put oranges on the list, and if I'm going to Kroger it will know not to put roofing nails on the list, even though I may have put both of those on a list (or the list, depending on how it is organized).

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Mike

Upvote 0
Hi,

I am not only interested in managing a shopping list but also price checking of item by scanning bar code or entering description (i.e. allowing to look-up similar items). For instance we joined Cosco and we'd like to compare item between store using price per quantity for a given item, that is not just item price since size can vary.

Will Grocery King do the job and well? It seems Grocery King is showing up in a lot of reviews I can't find a trial version and do not want to by an App to just try it out. Did I miss it?

Thank you for your comments and clarifications.
Dpluigi

Upvote 0
I just have an Android mobile and look for a shopping list application. I have a similar story as some posts here and I don't want to try every app. I am looking for the app that can remember what I purchased last week or two weeks before. Also I can send a list to my wife's phone. Please post ideas.

Daniel:thinking::eek:

I found an app called Shoppingmate and I have watched its video and it seems to have what I am looking for. Has anyone used it?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

Upvote 0
I too miss Handy Shopper. I realize how great it was after not having it available for the past year.

There is an extremely useful feature from Handy Shopper that I haven't found in any Android shopping apps:

1) The ability to place an item in multiple stores when creating, or editing, an item.

2) The ability of the app to place the item back into the same multiple stores after it has been shopped, and is pulled out of the app's history for subsequent shopping.

Doesn't this make sense? If I create an item like a light bulb, and place it in the grocery store, drug store, and hardware lists, shouldn't it reappear in all those lists after I've shopped it?

Has anyone seen this feature in any Android shopping app?

Upvote 0
I've read through this thread and checked out a lot of the apps mentioned....I'm looking for an app that will allow me to add apples to my grocery list...then when i get to Store A I can see that apples are $1.29. When I click on apples in my grocery list, it will tell me that Store B had them on for $1.19 last time I was there.

Will any of these apps do such a thing?

Upvote 0
Groceryking and Mighty shopping list can add 1 item to multi lists at the 1 time.

Groceryking won't do aisle based items you could add in new catageries and name them as the aisle they are from.

Mighty I think does the above.

The 1 problem with want prices across stores is it's generally only a USA feature as the programs don't do databases for other countries.

The other thing about pricing is that these programs don't use a single database that you look at so when you add a price it's only for your own devices that get the prices so unless you add all the prices for all the different stores then you won't have any other prices.

The pricing problems seem to be across the board really and there's been no single app that does the pricing thing across the board for the world.

Upvote 0
I am just now revisiting the shopping apps. I flipped through the Play Store and read the descriptions of the major apps. It seems like two apps are the front-runners for my purposes. Those apps are Mighty Shopping and Grocery King.

For me, the main draw is the ability to incorporate the following:
> A shopping list
> A pantry list
> Recipes
> A meal planner (seems like this is on the way)

I like the idea of being able to keep track of what I already have and see it all while I'm at the store so I don't buy things I don't need. I also like the idea of being able enter my recipes so that I can see what recipes I have the ingredients for or what I still need to buy. My hope is that the shopping list, pantry and recipes integrate seamlessly.

Other features that are imperative are:
> Online interface and syncing
> Aisle creation and manipulation FOR EACH STORE, SEPARATELY
> Price comparison
> Saving of past prices paid
> Easy item creation and modification
> Easy quantities and conversions

Nice, but not imperative features are:
> Multi-platform availability (iOS, Windows Phone)
> List sharing and real-time syncing between devices
> Bar code scan to price check, add item, remove item, update inventory, etc
> Walk-through or intro guide

Grail features:
> Add and save recipes from well known recipe and blog sites

Upvote 0
After using GroceryKing for awhile, I decided to go with GroceryIQ.

This decision is almost entirely based upon the web interface. Since my lists are stored online, I don't have to worry about backing them up and getting the file off my phone if my phone gets broken. I just sign into Grocery IQ and my list is available again. I also like being able to add items from my computer.

GroceryIQ still lacks one critical feature... It is not possible to add an item multiple stores. It's possible to add an item to all stores, but it's not very helpful. For instance, I'd like to add "Aspirin" to my grocery store and department store list. But why would I add it to my hardware store list? With GroceryIQ, the only way I can add an item like "Aspirin" to my grocery and department store list is to also add it to my hardware store list.

Why, oh why, can't someone simply make a list like Handy Shopper?? It was the most intuitive, easy to use shopping list program I've ever used... Why can't someone simply port Handy Shopper to Android?? Handy Shopper, with the option of a web interface, would be the best shopping list application available.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones