1. Hot New Devices! HTC One M9 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | LG G4

Need help flashing CM7 (can't find Rom Manager)

1. Adamantus

Adamantus Active Member

I can only find Rom Manager Premium on the market from my phone and I don't really want to pay $6 for an app that I'm going to use once. I've found on the market through my computer, but it says that it is incompatible with my device and that it is already installed (for some reason, it says Rom Manager premium is compatible with my phone). I tried to download it from the web through my phone but I can't install third party apps.

Is there any way to get Rom Manager free on my phone? On a side note, I'd much rather install CM9 but have seen very little information about it. Is there a way to flash it instead of CM7?

Advertisement
  2. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

Have you already rooted your phone and do you have a recovery installed (typically ClockworkMod recovery).

You can boot directly into recovery to manually wipe your cache's, nandroid backup, and flash ROMs.

To find CM7 for your phone if it isn't on here check out the cyanogenmod website or XDA
  3. Adamantus

Adamantus Active Member

I am rooted, and now I'm going to show my ignorance - what is ClockworkMod exactly? Is that the text-based screen (volume up/down to scroll between options, power to choose) you get when rooting? I have a CM7 rom on my phone. Can I install it by using that?
  4. chrlswltrs

Yes that is your recovery, and yes you install it using that screen
  5. Adamantus

Adamantus Active Member

Okay, so this doesn't work. When doing the Volume UP/Down + Power to go into recovery mode, the only options I have are reboot system now, reinstall packages, delete all user data, and delete cache data.

I did reinstall packages and it doesn't give me an option to flash a new rom. It just says "reinstalling packages" and restarts.

I've attempted to download the rom manager apk from several locations and install it that way but I keep getting an error saying "There is a problem parsing the package". Is there any other way to install CM7?
  6. chrlswltrs

What phone do you have and what method did you use to root it?
  7. Adamantus

Adamantus Active Member

I'm using a Captivate. The method? I guess it's the one-click root (it's the method I used when I flashed my phone for the first time with the Cognition 4.0 rom).

Either way, I found a new tutorial online that worked (Samsung Captivate/Vibrant (How To Install Gingerbread CM7) - YouTube). I was able to flash CM7 in about 5 minutes using this method since you don't have to download rom manager. Thanks for all the help anyway.
  8. chrlswltrs

Glad you got it working. A lot of those one click root methods don't install a good recovery which is exactly why I was asking how you rooted.

I used to use ROM manager, but I don't anymore most of the time. Now I always manually flash ROMs in recovery.

I'm sure you will love CM7. It is my ROM of choice (currently running it on my GSII and previously on my Nexus S)