Need help getting Blu Rays on my phoneSupport

Last Updated:

1. redandblack1287

redandblack1287 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

First off, let me say that I've done this to a small extent. If I can get an mp4 or avi, everything works great. My problem is that I cannot find any blu ray decoding/ripping software ANYWHERE that doesn't cost $60 and come from some company I've never heard of. If anyone has any suggestions for getting the Blu Ray onto my computer, I can figure out the rest from there. Thanks in advance!

Advertisement
  2. hotpocketdeath

hotpocketdeath Member

If you want 100% free

To backup BD data = MakeMKV

Conversion software:
    Handbrake = Easiest to use
    Ripbot264 = Easy to use
    MeGUI = More advanced, steeper learning curve, but capable of doing more then the previous two. (I prefer this one myself)

However, I recommend buying AnyDVD HD. It's the preferred BD backup software most people use. It's regularly updated.

What I have found so far is videos using profiles that work on the PS3 also work on my Epic, however, if you make a video for putting on the Epic, use 2ch stereo for the audio stream. Do not use 5.1ch audio or you will be required to use 5.1ch headphones or no audio will play.

3. Aero1

Aero1 Well-Known Member

5.1 aac will play. you are not going to load a dts track on ther unless you want 3 or 4 gb just for audio. I think it is a waste anyway to use 5.1 on headphones, but there is not problem playing those 5.1 files through the speaker/

4. hotpocketdeath

hotpocketdeath Member

There is a problem on my phone, and I have confirmed it on other models as well.

Using a video encoded with 2ch AAC and another with 5.1ch. Both with identical settings (aac-LC). Only difference is the number of channels (and bitrate, but more channels needs more bitrate),

The video with 2ch audio plays great. Audio comes out the phones speakers or regular ear-bud headphones without issue. However, the video using 5.1ch audio will only show video. No audio is heard at all from either the built in speakers or headphones.

This issue has been a real annoyance for me and I even posted about it in another thread.
    http://androidforums.com/android-media/166713-player-can-handle-videos-5-1-audio.html
    Not a single person has been able to suggest how to get 5.1 working on these phones except for the last post, except that solution isn't in play yet.

So if you know a way to get it working, please let us know.

And I don't think it's a waste to have 5.1 work on these phones. The real waste is having to go back and re-encode the audio streams of a video just so I can play it on my Epic. By supporting 5.1, It allows people to encode a more universally accepted video file that can play on multiple devices without the need to encode a video for each individual device.

5. redandblack1287

redandblack1287 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Thanks for the advice hotpocket, got everything figured out now.

Well, except for one little thing--since I'm reducing the resolution from 1080 x 1920, shouldn't I be able to get rid of the black strips above and below the picture? Do you know any way of doing this?

6. hotpocketdeath

hotpocketdeath Member

Yah, each of the conversion programs I listed has the ability to crop the image.

For MeGUI, you do it through the AVS script creator. Ripbot264, it's under the "Properties" buttons of the job creation screen. I don't use handbrake, but I know the options are there somewhere under the video properties.

Good luck with the videos, glad to be of help.