Need help getting data off 1st phone and onto replacement phoneSupport

Last Updated:

1. gotmydroidx

gotmydroidx Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

My replacement phone arrived today and I'm hoping someone can help me in getting all the data (apps, settings) from the first phone onto the replacement phone.

How do I go about doing this?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

If they're both Android phones, then most applications will be automatically reinstalled on the second phone via Google and the Market. However, not all of them are necessarily always re-installed.

I recommend installing the AppBrain application on the original phone, sending the list of all applications currently on that phone, then re-downloading the application on the second phone and installing the apps that are on that list. I haven't used the AppBrain application yet myself, but I'm currently creating a list on their site for when my Droid X arrives in the mail.

For contacts, I recommend simply using BackItUp if both phones are Verizon Wireless phones. If they belong to two different carriers, I don't know if there's anything you can do other than write stuff down manually or something. It depends on the options that you get from the carrier of the original device.

Settings are probably going to be quite different on both phones, even if they're both Android phones. They might not, but it's more likely that they will.

As far as things like audio, pictures, and video are concerned: You should just copy all of that media over to a memory card or to your computer. You can then put it on the second phone.

If there's anything else that needs transferring over, that I didn't mention, please let us know. :)

3. gotmydroidx

Thanks - yes, both Droid X models - the 1st phone had problems so I'm looking to copy all the data from the 1st to the 2nd.

I'll try the app you suggested.

4. badchevy

badchevy Member

I received a replacement phone and used appbrain and it worked very well. As far as your contacts they are backed up to your gmail account so when you enter your gmail into the phone it automatically syncs them up.

5. 2horses

2horses Well-Known Member

Verizon also offers Backup Assistant, that can sync all your contacts too. I used it when I came from my dumb phone to the X. You can log into the Verizon site using your phone number and a password you created, then go to My Services (or just look for the ad under your phone type on the home page) and go from there.

FWIW, Gmail has not automatically updated my contacts since I got this phone - which, from what I understand, would include all my Corporate email contacts, plus facebook - right?. I don't use my gmail account all that much so am not too worried about it. But I wouldn't trust it unless you do it manually. Same with Verizon's Backup Assistant too.

6. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

Ugh, my bad. I keep getting Verizon's Backup Assistant mixed up with another program.

In my post, BackItUp = Backup Assistant. My apologies, gotmydroidx, if I caused any confusion.

7. gotmydroidx

In the end I download all the apps and reinstalled. Tried appbrain but it would not sync properly.

8. Paycer

Paycer Well-Known Member

Ah alright. Sorry to hear that AppBrain wouldn't work for you. Good luck restoring your data on the new phone. :)

9. dshay

dshay Active Member

Unfortunately, the way one of the original responders said it works (automatically reinstalling apps and settings) is the way it worked on the Droid but not the Droid X. On the Droid, it would pull down all of your apps, wallpaper setup/icon layout, even wireless network config down from the google "cloud". This would happen on replacement phones (same model) or even if you did a factory reset and re-entered your google id/password. On the Droid X, nada, it's like a brand new setup. Sure, your contacts/calendar will just re-download from google but it would do that if you switched to any new/different android phone. Also, the market remembers purchases but not really downloads. I sent a note on this in the motorola support forums, and it's just one more feature of "stock" that was disabled in the name of MotoBlur. Grrrrr.