• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need help! Having problems with two items, application settings and backup & restore SE Experia X10a

1) In application settings I am missing Unknown Sources and PC companion installation; I can only see Manage applications and Development.
2) When downloading backup & restore application from <m.sonyericsson.com/backup> and tap to install the file it gives me the following warning (For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in Android Market), I can only tap on (OK), it does not give me the option to tap on setting or cancel.
3) I not even able to sync my phone with SE site, I am missing Sony Ericsson in the following Tap Settings > Data synchronization > Select sync application Select Sony Ericsson
4) How do I remove the brander AT&T phone, so I can upgrade to firmware 2.1.

1) In application settings I am missing Unknown Sources and PC companion installation; I can only see Manage applications and Development.
2) When downloading backup & restore application from <m.sonyericsson.com/backup> and tap to install the file it gives me the following warning (For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in Android Market), I can only tap on (OK), it does not give me the option to tap on setting or cancel.
3) I not even able to sync my phone with SE site, I am missing Sony Ericsson in the following Tap Settings > Data synchronization > Select sync application Select Sony Ericsson
4) How do I remove the brander AT&T phone, so I can upgrade to firmware 2.1.

We with the x10 in the USA on AT&T of course, can NOT access anything via the SE web site regarding backup, restore or syncing. When AT&T did the agreement with SE they opted out of that option, so we have NO access to it. Only the folks with the x10i or x10a in Canada can access it..

You will also realize that the ONLY apps you can install on your phone are the ones from the Market. Again, AT&T has blocked our phones from being able to side load apps, thats why you got the message "For security, your phone is set to block installation of applications not sourced in Android Market".

The only thing you can do is hold out for 2.1, although AT&T has stated they do not even have a clue as to when we will receive said upgrade, if at all.... Many folks have opted to ROOT their phones and DeBrand them. Be fore warned, if you ROOT your phone, you will VOID the warranty, so tread carefully..

Welcome to the forums and to AT&T................

Reactions: Miss_Sha37
Upvote 0
sorry for hi jacking the thread but this seems to be the best place to ask
well heres the super nooob question, whats the way you did your X10a
i know that it voids the warranty i do have that coved.
i have tried to do the "one click" with no results..
all i what to do is side load apps and maybe delete some pre-installed apps
If your talking about getting the Android OS 2.1 update i just made a guide should be fool proof if not please complain to me :D.
http://androidforums.com/x10-all-things-root/233013-step-step-flahing-1-6-2-1-a.html

Reactions: ckelp
Upvote 0
I do have a question, that just came to me. How can you Root your phone if it will not allow you to get into it and change that command?

If you don't have an x10 that has the option to turn on Unknown Sources, then you have to install a generic version of the x10 software before you can root.

So, you would have to install the flashtool on your computer, and download the generic 2.3 or 2.1 ROM, then use the flashtool to load the ROM, boot the phone into flash mode and it will start flashing.

Then you could root.

You use this Flashtool:

http://azuzu.spice.net.au/tools/X10_GB_Root/FlashTool_0.2.9.1-GBready_root_xRec.exe

Download generic verison of x10i or x10a:

[Download] All X10 Firmwares - xda-developers

Then after flashing to 2.3 generic version, then you could root it by using the specific Flashtool above (not version 3.0 or 2.91 non GBReady)

Upvote 0
I followed all the instructions for the 2.3 upgrade on my SE Xperia10, including using Backup and restore for everything as I want to keep SMS, Phone log and Contact numbers especially. That took a while but it seemed to be OK. Then installed the new software and that went OK too. But there's no Backup and Restore facility anywhere that I can see!

I thought PC Companion may have some solution. There I was told I had to update to a new version of that on my PC so I tried but that keeps stopping at 157KB out of 17.9MB!! No idea why. Internet connections good.

I have found the backup file by exploring the phone's folders but how on earth do I restore from it?

I was thinking about getting one of the many apps on android Market but will they recognise the Backup file and be able to do what's necessary?

I can probably survive by slowly adding numbers manually but the SMS are important and I don't want to risk corrupting them with a different app to Restore and may have been used to Backup.

This has been a mad experience. Trouble at every step tonight! Having said that the new interface seems smart and internet connection faster. I'm in the UK and on O2 so no problems that I'm aware of about restrictions as previous guys had.

Any help or ideas welcome!! Thanks.

Andrew

Upvote 0
For anyone new to and Android phone. Setup your phone when you get it. Setup a gmail account. Do an account sync so that it does backup your contacts online.

Check this -

http://androidforums.com/sony-ericsson-xperia-x10/422837-how-backup-your-phone-apps-data.html

Uninstall PC Companion and try and reinstall it.

To be honest. I have never upgraded with PC Companion. So I can't be much help there. But an uninstall reinstall by visiting their website would probably be the best solution.

Upvote 0
My problem is that I cant find the application tab at all under settings...i have a samsung wave y.....please help...
And sorry if this is irrelevant and silly!

Phone menu's are different.

Please select your phone under here:

Android Phones - Android Forums

It's menus should be the same as the galaxy s

Samsung Wave S8500 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Uh oh....wait:

The Wave was the first phone with Samsung's own Operating System, BADA, meaning "Ocean". Though quite impressive at the beginning, this OS had its hiccups in mid term with the phone hanging constantly and restarting frequently. Samsung worked on the higher versions of BADA 1.2 and later 2.0. BADA 1.2 was released to the world in phased manner and it was much stable with respect to BADA 1.0. But due to lack of a powerful core in the OS, application development was limited, a situation which samsung hoped to rectify by launching BADA 2.0. But BADA 2.0 is yet to be fully released to the world due to lots of bugs found and hence, application development has been throttled. Hence a phone with great hardware specifications is being under-utilized.
In January 2012, Samsung declared that it was planning to merge bada with Linux based Tizen which is developed in collaboration intel. This move is seen effectively as Samsung dumping its own OS on which they have worked for quite a few years.

So it's not really running Android I guess.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones