1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Samsung Galaxy S

2 vote(s)
    33.3%

Last Updated:

1. blackice89

blackice89 New Member This Topic's Starter

The first two paragraphs aren't necessary. They simply justify the uniqueness of my post.

I need help selecting between the three. I've been searching for almost a week now, but I'm still unsure about which phone to get. I've read reviews, but as far as I know, they only get to use the phones for a week or a month which is why I'd much rather hear from real users' experiences. I've read other "Desire vs Galaxy S" articles, as well as a "desire vs desire HD" article, and I acknowledge the existence of differences between the three. I want to hear from you is which you would recommend based on my planned usage.

My undergrad thesis is an android speech-to-text application so my team will probably use my phone as a test platform. Besides my thesis, I'm gonna be using it as my primary music player (I'm most likely going to be using earphones so the Desire's tinny speakers won't be much of a problem). I'll need the battery to last a day at least, but I don't mind charging it every night. I'll probably end up rooting it and installing a custom ROM on it. I do like the idea of keeping it up-to-date with the latest android version. I travel sometimes so it'd be nice if I could use it abroad as well. I'm based in the Philippines, but I might buy it from Hong Kong, so if anyone here is from HK, can I get information on the prices?

My Views:

Samsung Galaxy S: This is really expensive but also seems to be the best, especially in terms of battery life. I don't like the crappy support from Samsung, and I've read about problems with the GPS. I also read about increased battery drain from the sensor after installing Froyo. The lack of HTC Sense is a bit disappointing. Nevertheless, I'm real excited for Swype and the phone seems to have the best processor.

HTC Desire: I like this phone cause it has a strong following, ergo better patches. The tinny speakers are a bit of a turn off and the weaker battery worries me, but it is cheaper and the support seems much better than the Galaxy S. I also came across posts such as this one that worry me. Nevertheless, its strong following speaks a lot about how good this phone is, and it is cheapest of the 3.

HTC Desire HD: I don't know much about this phone, but I read from TechRadar
    that the HD isn't much better than the original Desire. Considering this fact and it's current price, would it really be worth it?

SUMMARY:
    I need a recommendation based on my proposed usage. It'll act as a music player most of the time, and I'll probably use it a lot. Besides that, I'm gonna wanna be able to use apps without lag. I don't really plan to play graphics-intensive 3D games like doom on it, but I would prefer if it didn't lag on Angry Birds. I don't care about charging every night, but I would prefer not having to charge it in the middle of the day. I also believe that an unrooted android is not a true android, so yes, i'm probably gonna root it.

I live in the Philippines, but I may buy it in Hong Kong, so if anyone here is from Hong Kong, I would truly appreciate it if you sent me the availability & price range.

Advertisement