• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [T-Mobile] Need HELP - installing T-mobile Kitkat

levyroy

Mar 21, 2014
Hello my friends,
I have HTC ONE from AT&T.
I installed Android Kitkat of AT&T and last month.
Two weeks ago I switched to T-mobile and since then I have a lot of bugs and issues with my phone.
Please, can any one guide me how to install T-mobile Kitkat on my AT&T phone? I know I need to root and than installing - is the correct?
Please help - I don`t want to ruin my phone for nothing.
Thanks,
Roy.

Hello my friends,
I have HTC ONE from AT&T.
I installed Android Kitkat of AT&T and last month.
Two weeks ago I switched to T-mobile and since then I have a lot of bugs and issues with my phone.
Please, can any one guide me how to install T-mobile Kitkat on my AT&T phone? I know I need to root and than installing - is the correct?
Please help - I don`t want to ruin my phone for nothing.
Thanks,
Roy.

just to make sure we are understanding correctly:

1)you are using an att phone on t mobile network
2)you are currently not rooted or bootloader unlocked

first let us say that there are a couple different ways that you could run a t mobile rom on your att phone. the first would be to simply unlock the bootloader,flash a recovery,then simply flash a t mobile rom. doing this would leave you with att firmware still,and require you to update manually by flashing new roms in recovery as updates arise.

if you are not so much interested in rooting,you can convert your att phone to a t mobile variant,that will recieve t mobile updates. the basic steps will be:
-unlock bootloader,install root and recovery(theres a thread here)
-s off your phone using rumrunner or firewater.
-change the cid and mid of your phone
-run a "release keys" t mobile ruu.

having said all that,you must be in a refarmed area to consider using an att phone,as the areas using t mo's older bands will only get you Edge data,wich in a word,sucks(been there,done it ;) ) if this is your case,then you are better off selling your phone and picking up an actual t mobile device as no amount of tinkering will allow the att version to get 3g or 4g on t mobiles older bands. :(

at this point,we have just presented some basic information. if this is something your interested in,fear not,we will help you through it,just need to know what way youd want to go and the conformation of the 2 questions above and we can get in to specifics.

the first step will be to unlock the bootloader,wich you can do with this thread: http://androidforums.com/international-one-all-things-root/720478-htc-one-root-thread.html

Upvote 0
Hi Scotty,
First - Thank you very much for your prompt and detailed reply.

You are correct:
1) I`m using an att phone on t mobile network
2) I`m currently not rooted or bootloader unlocked

I think I would prefer to choose the second option so my phone will get the updates from T-mobile automatically but I wanted to know if its possible to install T-mobile`s Kitkat after doing that.... I`m not familiar with smartphones OS and software but I pretty good on the computer so I think I will manage to follow any guide provided to me...

The bottom line - I want to convert my HTC One to be a T-Mobile device: Auto updates and Android of T-mobile.

I hope I can do that :)

Please, if you can - list in a simple way the steps I need to do to reach in order to achieve that goal.

BTW - if you recommend any other Android OS that is better please tell me, I`m still new on that (I used to iPhone iOS)

Thank you very much again,
Roy.

Upvote 0
Hi Scotty,
First - Thank you very much for your prompt and detailed reply.

You are correct:
1) I`m using an att phone on t mobile network
2) I`m currently not rooted or bootloader unlocked

I think I would prefer to choose the second option so my phone will get the updates from T-mobile automatically but I wanted to know if its possible to install T-mobile`s Kitkat after doing that.... I`m not familiar with smartphones OS and software but I pretty good on the computer so I think I will manage to follow any guide provided to me...

The bottom line - I want to convert my HTC One to be a T-Mobile device: Auto updates and Android of T-mobile.

I hope I can do that :)

Please, if you can - list in a simple way the steps I need to do to reach in order to achieve that goal.

BTW - if you recommend any other Android OS that is better please tell me, I`m still new on that (I used to iPhone iOS)

Thank you very much again,
Roy.

Hi Roy,thanks for confirming your intentions. :) if you're familiar with the computer,I'm certain you will be able to convert your att one into a t mobile version.

The first step will be to unlock the bootloader,and install recovery and root using the guide I liked above( http://androidforums.com/showthread.php?p=5825097 ). Read thru that and just holler if you have questions :)

Upvote 0
Hi Scott thank you so much for your help...
After I`m done with the things you told me I need to do - then I will be able to install the Kitkat Android of T-mobile?
If I do, please can you tell me where can I find it? or maybe you recommend on other Android version.
Waiting for you answer so I could start the process :)
Thanks again,
Roy.

Upvote 0
After I`m done with the things you told me I need to do - then I will be able to install the Kitkat Android of T-mobile?
If I do, please can you tell me where can I find it? or maybe you recommend on other Android version.
Thanks again,
Roy.

Rebranding your phone requires a few extra steps not normally needed for just flashing roms.
Re read scotty's first post carefully as all the steps you need to be doing are their.

if you are not so much interested in rooting,you can convert your att phone to a t mobile variant,that will recieve t mobile updates. the basic steps will be:
-unlock bootloader,install root and recovery(theres a thread here)
-s off your phone using rumrunner or firewater.
-change the cid and mid of your phone
-run a "release keys" t mobile ruu.

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Thanks again,
Roy.

hi roy! as clsa states,the basic steps were mentioned above. i did not want to overwhelm you with a lot of links and directions,so that why i give you the link for the first step only.

to fill in a little more detail:

1)unlock bootloader,install root and recovery(theres a thread here)
http://androidforums.com/international-one-all-things-root/720478-htc-one-root-thread.html

2)s off your phone using rumrunner or firewater.
http://rumrunner.us/
or
firewater s-off

rum runner is a bit easier on the user. both can be a bit tricky to run on a windows pc,most folks have to temporarily disable their firewall and/or antivirus. the process goes a bit smoother on linux,so consider doing s off via a deicated linux machine or an ubuntu 12.04 or higher live cd

3)change the cid and mid of your phone
once youre s off,youll change your cid(carrier id or custom id) with a fastboot command:
fastboot oem writecid xxxxxxxx
(fastboot oem writecid T-MOB010 for t mobile)

youll change your mid(model id) using the directions in this thread:
http://androidforums.com/internatio...w-change-your-mid-without-eng-bootloader.html

4)run a "release keys" t mobile ruu.
after s off,and changing mid and cid,youll download and run this utility,wich will install a t mobile rom and firmware:
Shipped ROMs

that is the newest ruu available(that i know of),and will install official t mobile 4.3. afterward,the phone will want to update to 4.4,wich you can allow.

so again,carry on with the first step,and holler if you have questions along the way :)

last and not least,make sure that you understand if you leave a refarmed area,that the above mods do not change the bands that the device picks up. your converted phone will install t mobiles OTAs,but it will not be able to pick up hspa+ on t mobiles older 1700 band.

Reactions: clsA
Upvote 0
checked filezilla and apparently the upload was interupted by something... ill start re-uploading now. hopefully it will work this time :)

hi levroy,just and fyi im trying a 3rd time to get the ruu uploaded :eek:

when i got home yesterday,the PC was off :mad:

not sure why im having such issue getting it uploaded... hopefully will make it this time :)

Upvote 0
hi levroy,just and fyi im trying a 3rd time to get the ruu uploaded :eek:

when i got home yesterday,the PC was off :mad:

not sure why im having such issue getting it uploaded... hopefully will make it this time :)

here's the RUU if your still having problems
RUU M7 UL JB43 SENSE50 MR TMOUS 3.24.531.3 Radio 4A.21.3263.03 10.38m.1157.04 Release 336982 Signed 2 - HTC1Guru

theirs also the decrypted Rom.zip of it here
http://www.htc1guru.com/dld/ruu-zip...157-04_release_336982_signed_2_decrypted-zip/

and the Kitkat update is here >> http://www.filefactory.com/file/41y...3.24.531.3_release_351678n41r1lfticqo8m4c.zip

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Thank you both..
I'm going to give it a shot today after one month off of everything (my wife was very sick)
I hope I will not stuck with this method to get my HTC One back to its original performance.

I did everything but I`m failing to install the T-Mobile ROM - the installation fail in the middle.
What should I do?
thank you.

Thanks again.
Roy.

Upvote 0
Hello,
I`m trying to install T-Mobile ROM on my HTC ONe At&t after following all the instructions on this thread:
http://androidforums.com/t-mobile-o...p-installing-t-mobile-kitkat.html#post6551352

I reached to the point that I need only to install the ROM file - I`m trying but I keep getting Error 155.
I tried to lock again the phone and than install - didn't work.
I unlocked it again and than tried - not working.
How should I do?
I dont know if the following information is important but when I'm entering the bootloader screen on the top it is written:
*** TEMPERED ***
*** UNLOCKED ***

Please advise,
Roy.

Upvote 0
is your phone s off? error 155 is typically handled by starting the utility with the phone in fastboot,rather than the booted OS.

you can also extract rom.zip in this manner:
the .exe utilities can be finicky,so if you have trouble getting it to run, you can extract "rom.zip" in the following manner:
-start the utility
-check the "i understand" box to move on to the next screen
-hide the utility temporarily out of site
-search your C drive for "rom.zip". you will find it in a temporary location(it will be in a different spot each time you run the utility)
-open the folder location,and transfer rom.zip to a safe location on your PC.
-unhide and cancel the utility,youre done with it.
-rom.zip can be renamed to PxxxIMG and flashed in hboot,from a FAT32 sd c
(or you can use one clsa linked)

you can flash a rom.zip type file in thie manner:
if youre working with a booted,operational phone,you can flsh the file in the following manner:

-open a cmd window

-change to adb/fastboot directory
cd c:\foldername
(cd c:\mini-adb if youve used any of my guides :))

-place the zip file you want to flash into adb/fastboot directory

-enable usb debug,disable fastboot,plug in phone

-check for connectivity
adb devices (should return serial number)

-boot to fastboot
adb reboot bootloader

-check for connectivity again
fastboot devices

-flash the file
fastboot erase cache

fastboto oem rebootRUU (will put you in ruu mode,black screen silver htc letters)

fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip (will send and flash the file. dont interupt it while the cmd window shows its writinging,and the green status bar is moving on the phone screen)

*sometimes a file will fail with a pre-update error. this is normal,just enter again:
fastboot flash zip zipfilename.zip
and this time it will finish

-when you get "finished" and "OK"
fastboot reboot-bootloader (takes you back to fastboot)

-reboot back to the OS
fastbooot reboot

you can use this if you dont have an operational phone as well. you just need to manually put the phone in fastboot(select from hboot menu) then skip the "adb" commands and start with fastboot devices

above and beyond that,give us some detail of what parts of this thread you have done,and some more specific info about the errors you encounter

Upvote 0
Sure... I did all...
here is the results:
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.56.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4T.24.3218.09
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: 4.18.502.7
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-OFF
(bootloader) serialno: XXX
(bootloader) imei: XXX
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0713000
(bootloader) cidnum: T-MOB010
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 3931mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: off
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-c6bbb6d4
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones