• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

need help making any device compatible with a game

DeathEvil

Lurker
Aug 10, 2013
The game in question is Zen Pinball HD. I can sideload the app and it works great, but because market sees nook hd+ as incompatible, I can't purchase/restore additional tables (tried titanium backup, but tables are encrypted specific to a device I believe).

I also tried market helper, but unfortunately it did not helped (nook was identified as nexus 7, but was still listed as incompatible). perhaps its the resolution/density that makes it incompatible?

any ideas?

welcome to AF!!!!!!!!!

i moved you to the nook hd+ root forum, for better help with folks who have your device.

not sure if there is away for the hd+, but i do remember that on certain phones there is a hack you can do to trick the play store, but i can't remember where i saw it.

if i do find it, i'll post back here later.

tnx for the welcome. The hack is probably what I tried (market helper).
I posted in the android lounge on purpose, because nook hd forum has very little traffic, and my problem is not tied to the device specifically (the procedure is very likely the same for all phone/tablets)

Upvote 0
ok fair enough. i moved it back, but i changed the title(hope you do not mind)

is this what you tried;
[APP][2.2+][ROOT] Market Helper - spoof your device to download incompatible apps

Yes I have tried it, and it did spoof the market into thinking that my nook hd+ is a nexus7, but for some reason, zen pinball hd was still incompatible, which leads me to believe the app is looking at some parameters in the build.prop, most likely something with the screen size &resolution/density

Upvote 0
maybe it is not compatible with the nexus 7;) LOL

you could be right, but i have no idea how you could change that on your device.

I tried nexus7 because the game was written to run best on nexus7 (it was actually a tegra 3 exclusive title for a while)

I'm hoping someone stumbled upon such issue, and will provide some insight.
the unusual resolution of the nook (1920 x 1280) might be the culprit...

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I use the Zen Pinball HD app from Amazon App Store, which has no such 'compatibility' filter. Play's compatibility filter was recent addition and is about 99% of the time WRONG.

There is one hack if you are rooted, and i assume you are, if you're using Play on a Nook HD, try editing the Build.prop file and change the device model from Nook to Nexus 7 or something. that fools Play to thinking your device is something else, and that is how their compatibility filter works--it looks at your device's Build.prop entry for device model and type.

The Nexus 7 was incompatible with a ton of apps for a while, including Google+, at least, according to Play Store. the Nexus 10 is still considered not compatible with NBA Jam, which i'm working around since it installed just fine on my GS3, and it's rooted so i can steal the APK from my GS3 and side-load it onto my Nexus 10.

Zen's tables install as an in-app purchase, and perhaps it's Amazon's version but they all install from the app itself, they don't redirect to the Play Store.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I use the Zen Pinball HD app from Amazon App Store, which has no such 'compatibility' filter. Play's compatibility filter was recent addition and is about 99% of the time WRONG.

There is one hack if you are rooted, and i assume you are, if you're using Play on a Nook HD, try editing the Build.prop file and change the device model from Nook to Nexus 7 or something. that fools Play to thinking your device is something else, and that is how their compatibility filter works--it looks at your device's Build.prop entry for device model and type.

The Nexus 7 was incompatible with a ton of apps for a while, including Google+, at least, according to Play Store. the Nexus 10 is still considered not compatible with NBA Jam, which i'm working around since it installed just fine on my GS3, and it's rooted so i can steal the APK from my GS3 and side-load it onto my Nexus 10.

Zen's tables install as an in-app purchase, and perhaps it's Amazon's version but they all install from the app itself, they don't redirect to the Play Store.

I don't know about amazon version, but play version definitely use google play for in app purchases. Anyway, as I said in the last post, I got it all working:)

Upvote 0
i bought both Pinball Arcade and Zen from Amazon as part of my moving away from the Play Store for various reasons. Zen is actually a very fun game and has far more options than Arcade IMO. considering their tables are made out of their imagination they do a very darned good job with making them as real as can be, down to every bolt and screw, to the physics.

Upvote 0
i bought both Pinball Arcade and Zen from Amazon as part of my moving away from the Play Store for various reasons. Zen is actually a very fun game and has far more options than Arcade IMO. considering their tables are made out of their imagination they do a very darned good job with making them as real as can be, down to every bolt and screw, to the physics.

2 apps that are on always on my phone and tablet are pinball arcade, and zen pinball, both with all the tables:) I was a pin fan since early childhood days so those 2 games really keep me busy (99% of gaming on android is from those 2 games)

long live pinball!

Upvote 0
there are so many kids lately who have never heard of pinball. i wish that my favorite table would show up in Pinball Arcade though--it was a lesser table and not many made--Gottlieb's Tee'd Off.

Captain America is my favorite Zen table. its soundtrack is just epic, and when folks make me angry i enjoy pin-slapping the Skull--i've mastered the moves needed to start that mini-game over and over. i still cannot for the life of me save Bucky. if i did it was always by accident. i just don't know what to do or where to go to accomplish it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones