Need help please, Travel itinerary on calendar

Last Updated:

1. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I am going to be traveling soon, here is my question. I am travelling from Seattle to Dallas (Pacific to Central time). When I enter events (flight times, etc) do I need to adjust for time zone changes or do I enter everything in local time and android will update my calendar when I change time zones? So when I enter everything on my google calendar online does it assume I am entering local time for wherever I am (like flight takeoff times) or does it assume I am entering a time for the time zone I am in, then it changes it as I move?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but this is one of the most confusing questions I have had when travelling and also one of the most important.

Advertisement
  2. taz55

taz55 Well-Known Member

the phone will auto update its time, this includes all apps and your calendar. They will all reflect local time.

3. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So when I enter it into my Google calendar do I enter it like my flight itinerary or do I have to adjust for time zones myself and enter it for what time the flight would leave in my local time?

4. Moof

Moof Member

You need to adjust time zones for yourself, as the phone will change into Dallas time when you arrive. Your phone stores everything inUTC and then calculates local time based on that.

Another way to think about it is that the blocks of time on the calendar need to be the full duration of the flight. The leaving time for your outbound flight needs to be in Seattle time, and the arrival time of your return flight needs to be in Seattle time too.

If you do this sort of thing a lot, I suggest loading your flights into TripIt.com, which can export a calendar that Google Calendar can read, with all the times adjusted for correctly.

5. pbwhite

pbwhite Well-Known Member

Also, look into the app tripit (tripit.com)- you forward your travel confirmation emails to them (like hotel, car, flights), and it aggregates the travel info in one place - and it allows you to view it on a webpage, through the app.

Then you can also paste a specific calendar url into your google calendar and it syncs with your mobile calendar on the Droid. SWEEEEEET!

BTW, kayak.com has a trips feature that allows the same type of aggregation, and calendar entry creation.

6. taz55

taz55 Well-Known Member

i tired trip it, but since my work does all my booking it was really hard to use, since I couldn't get it all uploaded.

7. jetswa737

jetswa737 Member

Have you tried trip it to manage your travel. This is especially useful for those that travel on consitent basis. Its in the market place.

You can also go to their website to find out more information http://www.tripit.com/