• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need help removing a "dictionary" word from my phone!

Aileron

Lurker
Nov 20, 2013
Hi guys.
Over the past few days, the word "DONT" has ended up in my phone's dictionary. Now, whenever I type "dont" and expect the phone to automatically place an apostrophe in the correct place (via spellcheck), it changes the word to "DONT" instead. It's a vexing occurrence, seeing as I've already gone into Settings > Language & Input > Personal Dictionary and cleared the few words that were there. And "DONT" wasn't among them. I've had to completely turn off the spell checker, which I'd rather keep active.

Can someone shed some light on this issue? Thanks in advance.

I deliberately added "dont" and I see your problem; I couldn't find an obvious way to remove it either.

Deleting the data for the keyboard app appears to do the trick, although it will also lose any other keyboard customisations you may have made including other personal dictionary words.

If you want to try it, go to Settings->Apps and swipe to the "All" tab. Find "Google Keyboard" and tap it, then tap "Clear data" and confirm.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones