• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need Help restoring my atrix hd, Bricked.

d232

Lurker
Apr 30, 2013
I have searched the net for answers and havent found anything to work as of yet.

I rooted my atrix hd, and flashed safestrap, then wiped, then flashed a cm10 rom. Install failed, I think safestrap is no longer available. I did do a backup of my stock install.

Anyway, Im stuck on a black screen with device is locked, status code 0,
battery low, failed to hab check for boot, fastboot reason-boot failure.

So im assuming this phone isnt charging. I have tried holding down power plus volume up/down to get to the boot menu.

I have rsdlite and the stock sbf ready to flash. I just get do much of anything with this phone right now.

Its very frustrating.

Help me, thank you very much.:)

It's my understanding that bricked phones often times cannot be recovered, hence the term BRICKED.

Furthermore, it's also my understanding that this is the biggest risk in rooting a phone when you're not an expert. (And even when you do know your way around rooting a device).

That said, unless you can get it to charge and even more to the point if you cannot get it to boot (or to a menu) you might be out of luck.

Only thing I can think of (and this is way outside chance) there is the MAXX battery upgrade (you can find it with a google search) which shows how to pull the phone apart and replace the battery with a MAXX battery. That might A. fix your battery issue and give you a charge to work off of and B. do a real battery pull reset and give you a second chance to save it.
Plus you end up with a better battery in the end.

And you have already voided your warranty by rooting (and bricking) it so what have you got to loose? ;)

Upvote 0
I'm working on this same problem. Only in my case it wasn't my phone, I root phones on craigslist. I've been doing it for years, rooting so many different kinds of phones, so it isn't only a risk if you're "not an expert". I ended up giving them $200 (first time that happened) and now I have this phone I'm looking to fix.

The mistake you made (and the mistake I made) is flashing a kernel on a locked bootloader. The second mistake we made is trusting a bootstrapped recovery. It's not a very good recovery if you need a working Android system to use it. Kind of pointless to make a backup with it.

The only solution I can see is flashing the latest sbf. I believe that's the 4.1.1 available here: Droid-Developers SBF. Though it shows Bell Canada and Retail Mexico sbf's for 4.1.2, maybe there's a newer AT&T one floating around.

I've tried this over and over, using RSD Lite in Windows and using fastboot in Mac and Linux. The bootloader allows me to flash all of the components (the locked bootloader only flashes signed binaries) but I still can't get the phone to boot. I do get the Motorola M after flashing the kernel, but that's as far as I've got.

I also know there's a way to unlock the bootloader, but it looks like you need a working system to do it. Maybe we could talk to the devs behind the hack and see if they have a solution. Unlocking the bootloader would allow you to flash any firmware.

I don't know if you're still working on this, but I am. Happy to chime back in if I make any progress.

Upvote 0
Alright, I fixed it! The problem was the version of fastboot I was using. I ended up using the fastboot from the Droid Razr Utility (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2192467).

I guess older versions of fastboot had a size limit to the files it could flash. I was also using moto-fastboot, which I found in an Atrix 4g thread, but that was also outdated. The fastboot featured in the Droid Razr Utility breaks down the files and flashes them 30720 kB at a time. You could probably find the latest version of fastboot and not have to download the firmware for the Razr, but the version included in that utility will definitely work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones