NEED HELP REVERTING HTC Eris Android OS from 2.1 to 1.5

Last Updated:

1. flash3454

flash3454 New Member This Topic's Starter

Okay FORUM, I need your help! This is my first time using a forum like this so go easy on me :) Okay, so here is my problem. I have an HTC ERIS upgraded to 2.1 and it is so SLOW I cant stand it. (also, I can no longer pair the phone to my pioneer bluetooth car radio after I upgraded to 2.0) I think the phone worked best when I first bought it and it was running 1.5 so I want to revert it back to 1.5

Both Verizon and HTC tell me this cant be done, which of course is ludicrous since we are talking about software changes, not hardware. But I am not a tech geek at all so I need help. I don't know how to ROOT or Unroot. I really dont know how to do much at all in that respect, but I am very smart and computer literate. I just need someone to explain to me in good detail, the exact procedure and way I can restore my Eris to 1.5. Is there a way to do this?

I do know how to hook my phone up to my PC. But thats as far as my knowledge base goes. Please help me. I have already done a factory reset of my phone which of course wiped all apps and info but still kept 2.1, ugh!

I hope you guys can give me good, clear , specific instructions on how to do this. No abbreviations or short cuts please. Thanks in advance!!!

Advertisement
  2. kobel1up

kobel1up Well-Known Member

Follow this link, or just go to the top of the thread list. http://androidforums.com/eris-all-t...is-app-apk-no-pcs-no-scripts-needed-easy.html

This should make it very easy for you to do, no matter how savvy you are at phone's or computers. I would suggest rooting and installing XtrRom 4.6, its fast, smooth and way better then stock 2.1 and 1.5. You came to the right place to fix your phone.

Here is the link for the rom.[ROM][GPL][11/5/2010] xtrSENSE4.6.5 [cache2cache,apps2sd,oc,jit]-HTC Sense - xda-developers

Just spend some time reading before you root, and if you are not sure of what they mean or terms just ask. We will help you out.

3. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

4. flash3454

Thanks for the info. I am reading up on all this and I am going to attempt it on Friday. I will let you know how it goes.

5. kobel1up

:D Have fun, you will like it.

6. flash3454

It took me a couple times to figure everything out, but I think I was successfully able to root my phone and then flash the xtrsense4.6.5 to the ROM.

Now I have to see if the phone runs smoother with less lag. Hopefully it will. Thanks for your helpful comments and links!

Is there any easy way to perform a check on my phone to see if I indeed have rooted it. How exactly do I know it has been rooted?

7. flash3454

So I had the xtrsense 465 installed and I was curious to compare it to the old 1.5 so I decided to flash my rom to 1.5...which I did. So I quickly surmised that 1.5 was obviously lame compared to 465, so I wanted to go back to 465. Since I still had both rom files on my sdcard, i figured it would be easy to just re-flash back to 465. Boy was I wrong! First, when I tried to reboot in to recovery mode..that didnt work...then I read up more and realized that when I flashed to 1.5 I unknowingly had also unrooted my phone. So I had to get root back. Ok, I thought, no big deal, I'll just run that easy Root Eris program to reroot. Wrong again! Apparently that Root eris doesnt work in 1.5. Oy vey. So then I had to read up more and use a different, slightly longer and more complicated rooting method. But I managed to do that. Then I rebooted into recovery mode and was able to flash back to 465. So I am going to stick with 465 for awhile and see how things go. Just wanted to share my trials and tribulations. Thanks again.

8. Podivin

Podivin VIP Member VIP Member

Glad you got it worked out, and I agree, 1.5 doesn't really compare to 2.1 (and personally, I like 2.2 even better).

9. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

I guess that I should have mentioned that the Flashback would unroot the phone, but you seemed eager in the first post just to get 1.5, and that thread with Flashback was pretty clear that it was delivering 1.5 without root. Somewhere there is a rooted 1.5 on xda-developers (well, it's right here), but if you are interested in apps at all, or in doing GPS navigation, stay with 2.1 or 2.2.

But I would stick with xtrSENSE - it's a lot better than stock 2.1 or stock 1.5.

10. kobel1up

I have run XtrRom 4.6, and that is the best of the 2.1 roms. I prefer XtrRom over XtrSense, because I don't use any sense functions and sense slows the phone down. I like launcher proplus or adw launcher more then htc launcher. I didn't use all the screens that htc sense offered and it was to much back and forth, so on launcher pro I use 3 screens, if you upgrade to the plus then you can add more stuff and change sizes of the icons and it is way better.
    I am on nonsensikal 12.5 now and I like lots of things about 2.2 and have been with it for a month now, you may want to try out a few roms.