• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need help. Slammed phone in truck door..broke screen

J S Machine

Jul 28, 2010
I got a really good deal on a basically new Razr HD back in October. I was able to keep my same data plan by buying it used and activating it vs. upping my contract. This morning as I was leaving my truck, I had the phone between my legs I guess, and when I got out, it fell to the bottom of the door jamb. When I shut my door it slammed it there. I picked it up hopeful that nothing would be wrong, but the screen is done. I don't have anything but a few small lines on about 5% of the screen..an area about 1x1cm. I think the phone still works ok, because I have been getting notification sounds and my light works up top. I found some replacement screens and stuff on ebay, but I'm not sure if this will fix it. I can't tell exactly what is broken. The actual surface of the screen is still smooth. There are cracks shattered throughout, but they are beneath the surface like the 2nd layer? I'm thinking that most of the glass replacement pieces I see are just the top layer ($10 or so), because I saw another auction for a LCD screen - which was significantly more ($75 or so). The phone had an Otterbox cover on, but apparently it won't save this..lol. The phone is also slightly twisted- like it won't lay flat. Trying to decide what my options are at this point. I have insurance through Assurion, but I'm not sure they will cover this particular phone. Since I got that Assurion with my regular Razr that this phone replaced, it may still be tied to that old phone. I don't know if migrates to newer models. The other issue with this is I know there is some sensitive data in the phone that I need to get, but I can't do it without seeing the screen. Some of it may be able to be retrieved with the usb cable to a pc (which I haven't tried yet). The point is, I know they will want me to send in the old one, and I'm not really comfortable doing that knowing there is some stuff I need to get out of it first. What Should I do here? Is whatever is broken just the $10 glass, or is it the more involved LCD underneath? If it is the $10 screen I will give that a shot. That's nothing really lost if it doesn't work. I don't think spending $75 is a good idea though, when it may not fix it.Thanks..Sorry for length

I've got a real problem. I cant see my screen at all. I would think the digitizer (top layer?) still works beause it isn't cracked like the amoled underneath..but I can't tell.

In any event, the phone is protected by a screen lock pattern. I can't see it to tell if i have even gotten past the first screen to bring up the pattern..and then I cant see it to tell if im entering the pattern correctly. At this point, I may have entered it wrong too many times and now im locked out. I can't get into the phone via usb and a pc to get files if I can't unlock it first.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones