Need Help so Phone Doesn't Blow Up! ASAP!

Last Updated:

1. HeXiiK

HeXiiK Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok. I rooted my phone with the one click root. Installed the Droid X Reboot app. And now I Bootstrap Recovery and Reboot Recovery. Now I'm at a screen that says:

ClockworkMod Recovery v2.5.0.6

-reboot system now
    -apply sdcard:update.zip
    -wipe data/factory reset
    -wipe cache partition
    -install zip from sdcard
    -backup and restore
    -mounts and storage
    -advanced

Now what is the first step in this process? I'm new to rooting and I REALLY DONT WANT MY PHONE TO EXPLODE!! If you could explain what they mean.

Advertisement
  2. cygnusloop

cygnusloop Well-Known Member

HeXiiK likes this.
  3. HeXiiK

Will I need a ROM Manager? Where can I get one?

4. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

Just search for "rom manager" in the market.

5. HeXiiK

Ok now for some terms. ROM Read Only Memory. Is Downloading ROMs, downloading themes?

6. Willyg44

Willyg44 Well-Known Member

The process for installing themes is the same as installing ROMs, although it isn't necessary to wipe data/cache when installing a theme over a ROM.

7. jreed2560

jreed2560 Well-Known Member

Roms replace you entire system. themes just change the image files of some applications, the status bar, widgets and others. If you want to go back to bootstrap and reboot into recovery again, before I download anything else, I would make a stock backup so that if anything you do messes up your phone you can always go back to square one as long as you can get into recovery

8. jreed2560

ROM is an acronym for read only memory but ROMs in this case generally refer to the firmware of the phone.

9. mxsjw

mxsjw Well-Known Member

1st step? Go to backup and restore and create a backup so if something effs up, you start where you are now.

10. cygnusloop

Some ROMs use ROM manager to install, some use the bootstrapper that you already have. When you flash a rom, you basically have a new operating system. The rom may be themed, or may look very much like stock. Flashing a rom is very much like doing a factory reset, but with modified software. A theme can be applied over a rom, and changes the look of many things like system fonts, notification bar, icons, etc... Themes can be applied over the "stock" rom or over custom roms. Some themes will require you to be "deoexed" before you apply the theme. Some themes will do the deodexing for you when you apply them. You just need to do some reading to figure it all out. Most importantly, ALWAYS follow the instructions from the dev TO THE LETTER for whatever rom or theme you are installing. This will save alot of headaches. Good luck, and ENJOY.

11. HeXiiK

What does the ROM File look like? For instance I got the 928Droid Black Glass X

[​IMG]

For instance this is zip file. What do I save to SD Card?

[​IMG]

That too? That is the apk I think..

12. jreed2560

This is very true. Any rom the requires you to mount the system you will need to do manually thru recovery (ie bootstrapper) Rubix and Apex I know for sure you must do this way. Some of the others can be done thru rom manager. Rom Manager also has some nice themes, but it can also be used to install other themes that you have on your sd card. themes do not require you to mount anything so its pretty easy and painless.

13. cygnusloop

First off, Black Glass is a theme, not a rom. It will theme (and deodex) your stock droid x. You don't extract anything. You place the whole zip file in the root directory of your SD card (which would be the root directory of whatever drive letter your PC assigns when you plug your phone into the computer. You then use the bootstrapper to select the zip file and apply it using the volume buttons and camera buttons when you boot into recovery. Again, MAKE SURE that you follow the instructions for whatever rom or theme you are using EXACTLY.

14. HeXiiK

Whats the best ROM then? I can just download that using the Bootstrapper or the ROM manager? And for instance if (there is any) I wanted to change my theme like to a Galaxy S? How do I do that, does anyone have that theme available? (Post link please!). What is the file type of ROM?

15. cygnusloop

16. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member

ApeX is probably the best ROM, in my opinion, that you can get right now. I really like the 928 BGX theme the best.

17. HeXiiK

Is there a way to back up information on an application? I just have my check book on it..

18. jreed2560

I believe you can with Titanium Backup

19. SimsDelt

SimsDelt Well-Known Member

Honesty. Someone that is new to root and backup should use mybackup pro. Its super easy and.will save not only the application but all data associated with it too. Also can back up user data. Its like$ 4.99 in market. Once it installs select accept and then yes to the next window. Then backup and you'll figure it out from there.

20. masse

masse Well-Known Member

if you can't figure it out by reading the internet you might want to slow down and take some more time to learn everything before you continue.

Almost any question you can have has been answered somewhere.

Not being mean I just don't want you to mess anything up by jumping in too soon.

21. Outlaw71

Outlaw71 Well-Known Member

I totally love TiBackUp, but I wish it saved the data associated with the apps like with 'Notes' and 'Keeper' and apps like those.

22. someotherguy

someotherguy Well-Known Member

I concur.