• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need help to unlock Wifi 5.8 Ghz

L

Lebojojo

Hi everyone,
I'm trying to connect my Galaxy Note 3 Neo (SM-N7505) to a mini camera "CGO1 Wifi 5.8 Ghz" installed on my drone 350QX3 without success.
After investigation, it seems that Samsung has restrained their smartphones at 5.2 Ghz in Europe (contrary to Apple, iphone 5, 5s and 5c : they are working fine) !
As Wifi is handled by the kernel, I suppose that I've to make some modification of it... so now... is there any way to unlock the 5.8 Ghz (...with the help of app Universal init.d perhaps ?).
Any help would be very appreciated !
Info : no root has been done yet on my smartphone, official firmware is N7505XXUCNG2 with Android 4.4.2, kernel version is :
3.4.39-2244489 / dpi@SWDD5004 #1 / Fri Jul 25 17:41:08 KST 2014
(PS Sorry for my bad English)

is there any way to unlock the 5.8 Ghz [...]

That depends on whether the device hardware actually supports wifi channels above those mandated by the European standard EN 301.893 V1.7.1, which stipulates an upper limit of 5700MHz (Ch140) and also whether use of the these is legal.

I suspect that the camera is primarily intended for use in the US or Far East, where the five channels between 5745MHz & 5825MHz are authorised for use.

Upvote 0
That depends on whether the device hardware actually supports wifi channels above those mandated by the European standard EN 301.893 V1.7.1, which stipulates an upper limit of 5700MHz (Ch140) and also whether use of the these is legal.

I suspect that the camera is primarily intended for use in the US or Far East, where the five channels between 5745MHz & 5825MHz are authorised for use.

Upvote 0
Hi Slug,
Thank you for your clear answer.
Yes indeed... this camera becomes a 5.8 Ghz wireless access Point and is for use in the states.
I made some test connection with Iphone 5, 5s and 5c and all these are working perfectly !.
So this leads me to think that this is not a hardware limitation on Samsung devices.
It's most likely due to the software (restriction in the kernel) but... I'm not sure.
Is there any application or other way to known if it's hardware ?

Upvote 0
I made some test connection with Iphone 5, 5s and 5c and all these are working perfectly !.
So this leads me to think that this is not a hardware limitation on Samsung devices.

Why so? Apple manufacture a single device for all markets, whereas Samsung produce region-specific variants. It's very likely that no Samsung sold outside the US supports wifi channels only (legally) used in that region, given that the baseband also only supports 3G/4G frequency bands used in the EMEA market.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
I had this weekend the same issue. I have a Galaxy Note 2 (N7100) with the same mini camera CGO1 Wifi 5.8 Ghz. I couldn't see it in my Wi-Fi list when activated. After a few days research and and trial on error, I found the solution.

On the settings ->Wi-Fi page I have a menu with advanced options. I've selected the Wi-Fi region code page and choose the Korea region. Eureka, it works.

I'm running Android 4.4.4

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Hi there,

i got the same issue with my Galaxy Tab 3 7 (SM-T113). I rooted my device and did

p2p_oper_reg_class=124
p2p_oper_channel=149

But still not working, no connection to the CGO1. Is there any other solution for changing the region code? I dont have the advanced menu feature as jsat. So I tried editing the wpa_supplicant.conf. My settings are:

ctrl_interface=/data/misc/wifi/sockets
device_name=goyavewifixx
manufacturer=samsung
model_name=SM-T113
model_number=SM-T113
serial_number=3004d1a5b2cac100
device_type=10-0050F204-5
config_methods=physical_display virtual_push_button
p2p_listen_reg_class=81
p2p_listen_channel=1
p2p_oper_reg_class=124
p2p_oper_channel=149
p2p_disabled=1
okc=1
autoscan=samsung_exponential:8:12

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones