Need help trying to unroot.

Last Updated:

1. dylan6879

dylan6879 Member This Topic's Starter

so ive been trying to figure out how to unroot my hero and ive tried using the 1.29 RUU but keep getting the 140 error. ive looked all over the internet and cant find any solutions on how to get it working and i was wondering if anyone here knows a solution or another method to unroot. i also had 1 other problem i wanted to restore my nandroid backup so i can return to the stock rom if i cant unroot but i keep getting an error that says "Error : run 'nandroid-mobile.sh restore' wia console!" and i tried searching that but i cant find a solution either and wanted to know how to get the restore working or where i can get a stock rom that i can use. any help would be greatly appreciated

Advertisement
  2. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

Windows or mac?

Connected via usb cable?

Verified you are using the Sprint RUU? Tried downloading the RUU a second time?

3. dylan6879

yeah im on windows and connected via usb cable. ive downloaded it 3 times and tried it both on windows 7 and windows xp. it is the sprint one "RUU_Hero_C_Sprint_1.29.651.1_signed_release"

4. dhinez

dhinez Well-Known Member

Make sure usb debugging is on. And. Make sure your phone is mounted.

5. dylan6879

yea i just checked usb debugging is on and it was mounted.

6. daman7676

daman7676 Well-Known Member

did you install HTC Sync?

7. dylan6879

yea lol i didnt miss any of the simple steps like that. i know many people are facing this issue that have the with google branded phones which i have. i havent found any solutions and i was wondering if anyone knew anything. but since it doesnt appear that there are any solutions currently. can anyone just help me trying to get my nandroid restore working or finding the stock rom to put on my phone. i do have my nandroid backed up on my sd card but it just doesnt work when i press restore

8. bbv203

bbv203 Well-Known Member

Your restore error should be simple, make sure you are in adb shell before hitting restore.

9. Droidone

Droidone Well-Known Member

The issues with the google branded phone vs the htc phones not being able to be unrooted is the only thing keeping me from rooting my phone. I really want to and if there was a clear way to just unroot incase of warranty issue, I would have done it already. There are other threads on other sites with the same issue and there has not been any resolution to it as of yet, last I checked atleast

10. VinceO

VinceO Well-Known Member

Known issue...See here. I honestly wouldnt worry about unrooting even if you have to exchange the phone. Sprint cant tell if you unrooted or not. Now if you flashed a ROM to it thats a different story. When you rooted the phone from the beginning you shouldve done a nandroid backup prior to installing a ROM. Chances are if you're getting an error when trying to restore your nandroid the directions weren't followed exactly. Check this thread out for your error message...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=582175

Check this one out as well...

http://forum.ppcgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=96498

This thread explains the RUU error in detail...

Sprint RUU fails with Error 140: Bootloader Version Error Geek For Me – Android CDMA Sprint Hero

11. dylan6879

alright im kind of new to this. how do i check if im in adb shell lol sorry. when i rooted i did follow each step properly and everything is perfect but i dont rlly like the custom roms and want stock back. i did do a nandroid backup in the beggining and I know the backup works because i did use it once to restore with it but then i wanted to test the 2.1 rom and when tried to restore again it didnt work so i had to go to fresh 1.0 and thats were im at right now but i just want stock back until there is a way to unroot.

12. bbv203

bbv203 Well-Known Member

from command prompt:
    "cd C:\where ever you put sdk\tools" (mine is C:\android-sdk-windows_r1\tools)
    you should now see
    C:\where ever you put sdk\tools
    type "adb shell" hit enter

13. VinceO

VinceO Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need to do a wipe first before you try and do a nandroid restore.

14. 702DROID

702DROID Well-Known Member

also what recovery img are you using heard alot of problems with 1.5.1 if thats the one your using upgrade it to the v1.5.2 and it should allow you to restore your nandroid backup

15. dylan6879

16. DanDroid

DanDroid Well-Known Member

Does this process really unroot the device or simply restore the stock ROM?

17. 702DROID

both

18. Droidone

Droidone Well-Known Member

I was wondering if I wanted to go back to stock which ruu I would have to use. My hero has the by google on the back but I bought it before the 1.56 update came out. Does that mean only 1.29 will work on the phone. Also with the possibility of going to 1.29, that would mean my youtube would work again.

19. BSki

BSki Well-Known Member

Try it and let us know.

Mine is With Google and I got it before 1.56 and I did not have to use 1.29

20. 702DROID

once you apply the 1.56 update the 1.29 RUU dont like to load onthe phones and as far as the youtube problem its another thing and it wont fix it

21. DanDroid

DanDroid Well-Known Member

Well I ran the nandroid backup and my phone was restored back to the stock rom, but I think it's still rooted (which is fine). Will it only un-root if I run the RUU file?

22. sessman

sessman Well-Known Member

how do you run your nandroid backup that you created to go back to stock?

23. ronbien

ronbien Well-Known Member

I think it because it was made just after root access was gained, therefore on a stock phone. After the Nandroid Backup is usually when the new ROM(s) are loaded. At least that is what is recommended in the steps on this board.

Good Luck!

24. barnacles

barnacles Well-Known Member

Google branded phones can be unrooted just fine.

Boot into recovery, nand restore.

Nand backups can be made whenever, not just after loading a new rom. They save the image of your current setup, no matter what ROM you are using.

25. rayla117

rayla117 Well-Known Member