Need help unrooting phone without usb!

1. Lommer0

Lommer0 Member

Hi,

So, as detailed in this thread, the usb port on my phone is kaput. It will charge the phone but not transmit any data. I rooted the phone using SuperOneClick and I'm trying to get the phone back to stock so that I can warranty the phone to repair the usb issue. I have been screwing around with this for ages and taking a lot of time to get nowhere, any help in figuring this out is HUGELY appreciated.

I have downloaded a stock ROM for the phone, but I can't figure out how to get it on the device so that I can return it. I'm also not sure if just flashing the stock ROM is enough, but I suspect that without the usb port I will not be able to change the flash counter and will just have to risk it. Anything else I'm missing? I don't really care about any data/settings on the phone other than the contacts which are all backed up on google, I just want to be able to warranty it.

Things I did:
    a) rooted with SuperOneClick
    b) added cwm and recoveryMod
    c) downloaded stock ROM from here, but it is a rar, that unpacks to a .tar.md5 file, that unpacks to some ext4, bin, and img files. I'm not sure how to flash these using recoveryMod
    d) I have not installed any custom ROMs ever on the phone

Questions:
    1) Is flashing the Stock ROM enough to return it to stock?
    2) Does cwm void the warranty? It looks like you don't need root to install it but I'm not sure since I installed it after I rooted.
    3) What steps can I take to get back to a state where I can warranty the phone?

Keep in mind that the usb port is shot, so ODIN, etc are not an option... All help is greatly appreciated!!!

Advertisement
  2. promiseofcake

promiseofcake Member

You should not have incremented the flash counter unless you flashed a kernel with ODIN; CWM flashes do not increment the flash counter. I have restored the system partition only with Odin and my flash counter has remained at 0 (removed cache, modem, kernel from the stock .tar).

Your hope might be in Mobile Odin. It currently does not work for the Skyrocket but one can dream.

Check the following links:
    How To Flash a New Recovery Image (If You Are Already Rooted) | The Unlockr

[HELP]Revert to stock recovery without working USB | Android Forums

Not sure if it will work and I have NOT tried these things, just came across them while browsing. Make sure you read all of the comments, etc. Good Luck.
    Lommer0 likes this.
  3. Lommer0

Lommer0 Member

I didn't flash a kernel, so if I understand correctly the recovery is separate and all I've done so far is change that? What part of the ROM does the rooting process change? Should I use cwm to flash boot.img too or will that muck up the process before I get a chance to flash recovery.img?

I looked at Odin Mobile, and it supports the Skyrocket (I777), so I'm probably willing to cross my fingers and try it on the S2 LTE (I727). I'm thinking I will try to use Odin Mobile to flash the ROM I downloaded, and then cwm to flash the recovery (though using cwm to overwrite itself seems weird). Does that sound right?

Edit: Scratch everything in red. Can I just use the terminal to flash the recovery back to stock and then delete su in /system/bin & /system/xbin? Do I need to worry about boot.img at all?
  4. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

If you flash the wrong stock file you WILL trip the counter

Ie if you are on uk2 and flash uk1 back to stock via odin it trips the counter.