• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [AT&T] Need help unrooting to stock firmware, NC1

dgilman101

Lurker
Jan 11, 2014
How do I unroot and restore my device? I am using a Samsung Galaxy s4 4.4.2 NC1. I really am in a hard situation right now and I would appreciate your help. My s4 was rooted by towelroot. I went into supersu and I cannot even read or write. I just want my device to be official. PLEASE HELP!!!

I was running stock
It depends which one though.

The stock ROMs that the first S4s came with didn't have Knox enabled. Consequently, people like me who rooted almost straight away were able to do so without blowing the Knox fuse. After a few months, Samsung rolled out Knox enabled firmware and if you installed one of these before you rooted, you will have blown the Knox fuse. I'll have to check which version this changed.

I know that users of the Note 10.1 2014 edition have had no problems installing stock unrooted firmware using Odin but I'm not sure whether the same is true for the S4. I suggest you ask in the rooting sub-forum. ironass will know the answer to this so let's hope he reads either this thread or the new one in the rooting sub-forum.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
ironass will know the answer to this so let's hope he reads either this thread or the new one in the rooting sub-forum.

I am truly touched by lotus49's confidence in me on this one but I am afraid that I can be of little help in this instance as I have no experience of the new towelroot method of rooting which uses an exploit in older kernels on some S4's, mainly the AT&T and Verizon variants. I am not even sure that it can be used on the International, GT-i9505, and definitely not on the GT-i9500, octa core.

In the normal course of events I would suggest a full unroot in SuperSU settings, removing any root apps and flashing a stock firmware via Odin but not in this case.

I suggest you ask in the rooting sub-forum.

I second this suggestion.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
I used this method to root my S4. When you open up super user, look under settings look for the option that says full unroot. It will restart your phone and it should be back to stock. It should only have a custom boot screen if you installed safe strap. You might want to check out the info on the xda forums for more information. Just for the heck of it, I unrooted my phone and unistalled everything and my device status is listed as official under the about device.

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0
I moved the thread to the ATR forum so the OP can get the best answer.:)

If anyone ever sees a thread that needs a move, just hit the
report.gif
button to report the thread and let us know where it may be better placed.:)

Reactions: ironass
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones