need help! unrooting/warranty issues

1. xxoutshinedxx

xxoutshinedxx Member

I have a Galaxy S4 that I rooted it using this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhiRPshiMTs (the video explains how to root after updating to VRUARE7)am now having an issue with my phone and I am going to have to take the phone in for repair or exchange so for warranty purposes of course I now have to unrooot it.

I've been looking at a lot of unrooting videos and in the end they all wipe your data and set your phone back to a factory state. I guess I'll have to live with that but my question, after I get my phone back and root it again can I simply take the titanium backup files I have saved on my computer and after installing titanium backup again just move those files back over to my phone and restore it to the way it was right before I unrooted it?

Advertisement
    :
  2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate! Moderator

Welcome to AF! :)

I presumed from the video that you have the Verizon SGS4, so I've moved your post accordingly. If I'm incorrect, let me know and I'll move again.

I was in a similar situation with one of my handsets earlier in the year. I uploaded the TB backups to dropbox, then when my replacement phone arrived, I rerooted, restored and it worked with no problems. I imagine it will be similar for your SGS4, but hopefully the guys here will be able to assist.
  3. xxoutshinedxx

xxoutshinedxx Member

Yes I do have the Verizon version.
  4. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

Welcome xxoutshinedxx!
    Although I have the S3 and have personally unrooted it, I would surmise your S4 would be similar.
    So, I searched around a little and came across this:
    How to Unroot the Samsung Galaxy S4 (Verizon) - TheUnlockr

Which seems to be the same procedure to unroot my device.

Basically, it will have you flash the stock firmware via ODIN. (a program that is run on the computer while the phone in plugged in and in download mode) There are download links there for the stock firmware and ODIN.

Now, before you do that, wait for other confirmations from those who have your device:)

Since being rooted have you flashed any roms or kernels?
    By the way, what issues are you having?
    El Presidente likes this.
  5. ShanDroyd

ShanDroyd Well-Known Member

have you installed the Verizon Samsung upgrade assistant on your pc? you can use that to "repair" your S4. it will revert it totally back to stock, like it just came out of the box. I have already done this when I mucked up my phone getting a bit cocky while de-bloating. it will remove root, but be advised it will install the latest software version for your phone, then, as of right now, you will have a locked boot-loader. you do not have an option to pick what software you install, so be carefull
    Mikestony likes this.
  6. Nick33

Nick33 Well-Known Member

Hi Shandroyd. Great info as i need to unroot due to device issues so obviously need it back to stock.
    I have no custom recovery or rom (obviously, im on Verizon, blah). So im just plain rooted.
    Question - this def works? I think i know what verizon program ur speaking of but just in case could u provide a link? Is it just one click trick? Also, will this wipe out any traces, files, etc. of things like superuser and restore that "samsung custom" boot screen to stock?
    Im soo sorry for the 3rd degree haha. Im just paranoid.

Thanks man.

@anyone else, have u had success with this method? Anything i should be careful of?