Need help updating Droid X on Cricket

1. Dotevian

Dotevian Member

If you haven't heard there has been a new update for Droid X users..software version 4.5.621..I've tried to automatically update but since I am rooted and have everything flashed to cricket it won't update I guess...Can any one guide me on how to apply this new update if possible..Thank You!

Advertisement
    :
  2. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!! VIP Member

sorry to edit this but I believe once your rooted you can't receive OTA updates try un flashing it try receiving the update then flash it I may be wrong I hope this helps and I am sorry for your problem I wish I could help more
  3. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!! VIP Member

Ok one of the Guides Yeaha Said he doesn't think you would get the OTA sense it came from VZW if you do it would break your root and he is not sure if you could SBF back to stock and then SBF to the update and root again he doesn't know if that would mess with the phone being flashed to cricket or not he doesn't think it should but flashing to another carrier isn't something he's done I am sorry about this try this Droid X - All Things Root - Android Forums I hope you find it to bear fruit enjoy the forums good luck
  4. Greavous

Greavous Well-Known Member

on a side note... how well is your DX running on Cricket? Im at a point where I think im going to do the same thing but curious as to if everything still functions as it should.
  5. Dotevian

Dotevian Member

it actually runs pretty well..it has its normal problems as a phone but there really isn't any difference besides carrier strength....if you want a lower bill but average coverage then its good..when flashed everything works...gps and ally
  6. Dotevian

Dotevian Member

thanks for the reply man...i tried unrooting and updating and then re rooting using root keeper but that didnt work either..i just really need/want this update considering it does fix a number of problems the Droid X is known to have.ui
  7. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

Assuming you were originally on Verizon....

You might need to sbf (602), check for updates to get to 605, reroot and use root keeper (if you want to stay rooted), then take the 621 update.

SBF'ing might break cricket tho.
  8. Dotevian

Dotevian Member

What exactly is SBF'ing?
  9. colchiro

colchiro Well-Known Member

10. calbha

calbha Member

so i got sick of samsung not supporting their products with updates or source codes for that matter and recently purchased a droid x....I am going to flash the phone myself to cricket but dont want to run into this update problem. I never have had an account with verizon but it is a verizon phone. I am wondering if there is a way to manual force an update before i root and flash the phone? should it automatically update when i turn the phone on if its not updated already? should i send the phone back because i haven't been too pleased with motorolas buttons in the past with falling off? (3 razrs and a "q")
  11. VoidedSaint

VoidedSaint Resident Ninja VIP Member

the update comes directly from vzw, as it has their radios, so you have to be activated with vzw for it to work
  12. ylexot

ylexot Well-Known Member

Well, I know you can update over wifi, but that doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have to be activated through vzw.

If you could update over wifi without activation, the other issue is that the current update would be 621 which would probably cause you problems trying to flash to Cricket.

You are probably best off SBF'ing with 602 and then flashing to Cricket.