• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need help updating new 2nd hand phone

@saltire When you say....

Reboot to boot loader, then using vol buttons highlight HBOOT in the menu and select using the power button. The boot loader should then recognise the zip file and work through installing the full stock setup, your phone will probably reboot a few times during the process this is normal.

I don't get this bit >>the boot loader should then recognise the zip file and work through installing the full stock setup, your phone will probably reboot a few times during the process this is normal.

The phone quickly whizzes through the screen attached in about half a second....it doesn't appear to be installing anything as it doesn't take a while or reboot a few times or anything like that, just goes back to above screen.

Upvote 0
Yes i did original RUU

So, what do i replace in these steps in order to put that latest firmware via RUU:

1. Download that file.

2. Do not unzip it or play with it, just save it somewhere on your Mac.

3. The default Downloads folder is just fine - in fact, please do that so I can simplify the instructions further.

4. Finder -> Applications -> Utilities -> Terminal --- launch that.

5. In the terminal, say this exactly, it's ok to copy and paste from here to there with the command-c/v trick, or the mouse, either is fine:

cd Downloads

6. Make sure we have it, in terminal say:

ls -l 0P6BIMG*

You'll see a cryptic listing for the file:

0P6BIMG_M8_UL_K444_SENSE60_MR_HTC_Europe_3.28.401.9_R_Radio_1.22.21331147A1.29G_20.67.4196.01_release_402839_signed-decrypted.zip

If you're in the right place. If not, stop and ask me.

7. In the terminal say:

md5 0P6BIMG*

Look for it to say the long file name = be3efe42a5a4049292532847ff893556

If it doesn't say that string of alphabet soup at the end, stop, talk to me.

8. Make life easier. In the terminal say:

mv 0P6BIMG(now press the tab key and don't put in the () chars I just used) 0P6BIMG.zip

The tab key makes the file name expand to full size. Note the first character is a zero and after the P6B that's a capital I.

Stop and tell me if it goes wrong.

If you want the copy/paste version copy and paste this all as one line INSTEAD OF THE ABOVE WAY:

mv 0P6BIMG_M8_UL_K444_SENSE60_MR_HTC_Europe_3.28.401.9_R_Radio_1.22.21331147A1.29G_20.67.4196.01_release_402839_signed-decrypted.zip 0P6BIMG.zip

9. Verify it's right, say -

ls -lh 0P6BIMG.zip

And stop if it doesn't show a file about 1.5 GB long.

10. Follow @@saltire's instructions:

Upvote 0
Yes, by all means, it's important to flash it twice when doing the RUU from the sd card - it's an idiosyncrasy of what the updated HBOOT stuff needs to work right and be truly healthy.

Install the RUU again. You don't have to download it again - just install it again.

After the second installation, remove from sd card.

After complete, go back to HBOOT with the volume down / power trick.

Go into RECOVERY.

wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache
reboot (to system)

By the way -

That update screen you're seeing is part of new greatness built-in to Lollipop.

Wait until you get a chance to use it. :)

Be prepared for lots of stuff to run smoother than you've seen before and for a pretty good chance at a nice bump upwards on your battery life. :)

We'll have to see later if any sort of bugs remain but you're now going to be running like a new M8 with Lollipop out of the box.

Hope this is getting you happy. :)

Upvote 0
Hahaha!! over the moon dude!! Its all good, I'm now officially on lollipop!! :D

Thanks for your time and patience over the last few days. and @saltire too.

Absolute genius!! how the hell do u figure this s**t out?! do u do it for a living?!

Any way I can repay u? The wifes over the moon too, I've been glued to my phone/mac for days!!

Top man @EarlyMon ..... howe ya one!!! ;)

Upvote 0
Lol confuse, I don't feel that way at all!

Yeah, I kept wondering if there was a point release (minor update) for that over there and they somehow moved on and decided if true, the Lollipop RUU made better sense (no pun lol).

Plus the previous owner may (must?) have been aware of an update issue and that was part of the decision to sell.

PS - if I'm ever not around and someone has a Mac, you can have them do everything on the phone. Use Dolphin, never Chrome, for the phone download. Slower, have to be more careful, but still doable.

Last edited:
Reactions: saltire
Upvote 0
The back up is in Dropbox, I'm sure I hit the back up now feature in the phone and it backed up to my Dropbox account but when I tried restoring from backup in initial settings, it said my password is wrong. After numerous attempts and clicking reset link a few times (no email arrives) it appears I don't have an HTC account?? Even though I can see my back up in drop box.

Thanks for yesterday again

Upvote 0
Back up in drop box.

So I get apps back through play store and get wallpaper back. Just no Contacts, Messages, cakanders notes, app data

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-30-10-24-25.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-30-10-24-25.png
    74.3 KB · Views: 88
  • Screenshot_2015-03-30-10-24-35.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-30-10-24-35.png
    250.4 KB · Views: 73
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones