Need Help Using a Huawei Ascend in MexicoGeneral

1. turboluis

turboluis Member

i'm going to mexico for a couple of weeks. wondering if possible to change the apn settings to allow for the use of a prepaid card from IUSAcell or other cdma carrier, at least for local voice calls? i have the huawei ascend from metropcs running CM7. can't access apn settings on CM7 but would be willing to flash a froyo rom for temporary use while traveling in mexico.

right now, best option seems to buy a $30 unlocked phone and buy a prepaid card down there and just use my ascend at wi-fi spots to keep up with my facebook stuff.:confused:

Advertisement
  2. nuttmeg

nuttmeg Well-Known Member

why not just put money in your metro account?
  3. Anduiril

Anduiril Well-Known Member

To open apns on CM7, use Voice Dialer and say "A P N". The problem you will have is getting your MEID in their system so that it will recognize the phone. I haven't used IUSACell or any service like it so I don't know how they work.
  4. turboluis

turboluis Member

How would that make my phone work in Mexico? I don't see any info on Metro's website about international roaming. The only US providers I know for sure that work down there is Verizon (limited coverage) and AT&T. And their data fees are steep. The Froyo+ 2 rom allows you to enter multiple APNs which theoretically would allow you to use your phone with multiple providers, so I thought maybe someone would know how to use multiple APNs on CM7.
  5. Gmash

Gmash Well-Known Member

I agree the cheapest thing would probably be to just get a cheap minute phone and use your Ascend on wi-fi if needed.
  6. ray1126

ray1126 Well-Known Member

APN Manager allows you to setup as many APN's as you want you can download it in the market