• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need help with contact photo

akcmommy

Mar 5, 2010
I used to have a HTC Eris. When I purchased my Samsung, I transferred my contacts (via Google and/or data backup & by moving info from my old SD card)

I have a contact whose picture is not saved anywhere I can find. When I update the contact at google, it eraced the pic. I was able to restore the pic to the contact via data backup (MyBackupPro). But now, I cannot figure out how to copy the photo so I can save it somewhere else so that when google updates my contacts, it will remain.

HELP!

The photo is a bitmap in the database (at least the API makes it look that way - it might actually be a structured file system..)

I'm not sure that you can get the photo out of the Contact DB short of plugging in the Android SDK and using ADB to query it directly. Some more details here -> Android Debug Bridge | Android Developers

Also, I'm not sure the actual phones have some restrictions on getting to the data.

You might want to look around at some of the contact manager apps to see if they offer an export option.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones