Need help with EVO V4G

Last Updated: 2014-01-12 14:57:00
  1. joethecopper

joethecopper Member

Hello,

First off, I'm pretty new with the rooting thing but I successfully did it with my old Triumph so I thought I'd give it a shot with my Evo. I followed the steps in the S-Off, root & Fix everything guide, using the included script. I got the the end of the script and it exited. I then selected bootloader from the hboot, then selected recovery. When I pushed power to select, the phone rebooted and got stuck in a bootloop. I've tried getting back in the boot loader by holding the vol down and power but nothing happens. I pulled the battery and the usb cord then reinstalled and nothing. I can get the phone to power on (and bootloop) if I pull the sc card but other than that, it wont do anything now. Did I brick it or does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. Brian706

Brian706 Moderator Moderator

It sounds like you don't have recovery installed.

If you battery pull you should be able to get to the bootloader.

Is there a PG86IMG.zip on your sd card?

You can attempt using command adb reboot bootloader while the phone is bootlooping.

If you can get to fastboot, can you run fastboot getvar all and paste the info here? Or at minimum the info from your bootloader screen?

Also, I moved this into the root section. :)
  3. joethecopper

joethecopper Member

Thanks.

This is a lot to ask, can you walk me through doing that, or point me to a guide?
  4. Brian706

Sure, I can try to help. It might be a little tricky because I don't know exactly what state the phone is in.

Can you get to the bootloader?

Pull the batter then replace it. Then hold volume down+power.

If you can get to the bootloader we should be able to flash a recovery and then a rom to get the phone booting up again.
  5. joethecopper

joethecopper Member

I can't get to the bootloader.
    After pulling the battery and replacing it, I hold the vol down and power. After a bit, the led goes off then comes back on. That's it. If this helps, I had just finished step 2 (using the script) of the S-OFF, root, & Fix Everything All-in-One guide. The script said success (or something like that) completed and exited. I then selected the bootloader- recovery and hit the power. Phone rebooted to the white HTC screen, then rebooted, etc. After that, I tried the preliminary steps listed in the guide but can't get to the boot loader. I've contacted VM about getting a replacement but would like to get this one back up as it has worked flawlessly since last March.

I forgot to mention, with the microsd in, I can't get it to do anything.

Thanks for all your help!
  6. Brian706

Okay, so you actually got S-off already then? I didn't realize that. What happens when you have your sd card in? Does it say anything? Any specific message?

Also it's possible you fried the SD card. It happens during the wire trick every so often. Do you have a spare sd card to try?
    joethecopper likes this.
  7. joethecopper

joethecopper Member

Yes, S-off. With the sd card in, nothing. With it out, it will power on into the bootloop but I still cant get into the bootloader. Also, I let it charge all night and the led is still red. I do have spare sd cards but the one that was in at the time seems to work fine in my pc.
  8. joethecopper

joethecopper Member

OK, I pulled the power, put in my (stupidly formatted) sd card and was able to get to the bootlader screen. This is what is says. I guess all is not lost. I'm tempted to try and move forward to Harmonia but in my frustration I contacted VM and they are sending a new phone. I guess I need it back to stock.
    [​IMG]
  9. joethecopper

joethecopper Member

Sir, I have made an account for you on my NAS and placed all the files I have to try to get this fixed. If you think that will help, I'll PM you the information.
  10. adamhos1234

adamhos1234 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you may need to reflash recovery.

Once you have a working recovery you can flash harmonia and you'll be up and running
  11. joethecopper

joethecopper Member

Where do I get a working recovery from?
  12. joethecopper

joethecopper Member

I apologize, I really am totally new at this. Thanks for helping me out
  13. adamhos1234

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ukw0lpdu64og4qv/PG86IMG-twrp-shooter-1.1.1.zip

Here is twrp. It'll get you going quickest.

Put that on the root of your SD card, not in a folder

Rename it to pg86img.zip

Boot into bootloader and accept the update

Power off when the update is complete

Then you'll need to remove or rename that file from your SD.

Once its gone, boot to bootloader again

Select recovery and you should boot to twrp recovery.

Wipe system, data, dalvik, and cache

Flash harmonia

Reboot

When you finally have a booting ROM I suggest flashing 4ext recovery through their updater app, I'll link it here shortly.
    joethecopper likes this.
  14. adamhos1234

15. joethecopper

joethecopper Member

So I need the harmonia zip on the sd to flash. Then the install zip option?
  16. joethecopper

joethecopper Member

Ok, I think Harmonia is flashing
  17. adamhos1234

Yes
  18. joethecopper

joethecopper Member

It took about 3 minutes, but Harmonia has booted!
  19. adamhos1234

Nice.
    Now if I were you, I would flash 4ext recovery

Then make a backup.

And you are ready for whatever you want!
    Congrats
  20. joethecopper

joethecopper Member

Whoo hoo, I'm back up! Guess I'll be calling VM to cancel the exchange.
  21. adamhos1234

For future reference, you were probably in a bootloop because you changed your hboot to 1.50 while you were on the stock ROM.

The stock ROM needs hboot 1.57/8 to run.
    Some custom roms, like harmonia will run on all hboots. In general, anything other than ICS , such as jelly bean and kk need 1.50 or lower
  22. joethecopper

joethecopper Member

I think I'm getting there. I am making a backup in 4ext recovery now. Whew, what a mess. I'm never trying this again.
  23. joethecopper

joethecopper Member

I think I forgot to put harmonia on the sc card before I began. I'm not sure.

Thanks for helping