Need help with FDR please!General

1. Stingrayracing

Stingrayracing Active Member

I am phone-challenged compared to a lot of you on the board. Since the OTA for ICS I want to do a FDR to rid some of the little quirks that have popped up on my Bionic. If this is covered elsewhere please direct me to it. Please walk me through the steps to back up my phone (apps, contacts,etc) and do the FDR. Do I need to then go back into Google Play and reload all of my apps one by one? How do I reload all my contacts? I appologize if this has been covered before as I have not followed the board closely. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Advertisement
  2. BigRedGonzo

BigRedGonzo Well-Known Member

The Back-Up Thing: Unless you are rooted, the only thing you can back-up is your data. If you have any apps that save data, you should visit the individual apps and save that data to your external SD card or someplace like dropbox. If the data resides on the internal SD card, an FDR is not supposed to erase it, but I don't trust it. If you have entered your contacts as Google contacts and not Phone contacts, they should already be backed up for you. If your aren't sure. Logon to your google account and see if your contacts are there. If they are, when you set your phone up and enter your google account, they will restore themselves. If they are only on your phone, you can either change them to Google Contacts or find a back-up app on the market.

The FDR: After you have backed up everything and know what you need to re-install on your phone. Power your phone down. When it is completely off, press the volume up and volume down buttons and hold them. While still holding the volume buttons, press and hold the power button until a white text menu appears. Press the volume down button one time to choose recovery and then press the volume up button to choose it. You will get a picture of a android on his back with his chest open and a red triangle. Now press the volume up and volume down buttons simultaneously. You will get a blue menu. Press the volume up or down buttons to navigate the menu to "wipe data/factory reset" and then press the volume button to choose the option. Navigate to the "yes" response and press the power button again to choose it. When it is complete, use the navigate to "reboot system now" and press the power button to choose it. After the phone finishes what it is doing, set your phone back up the way you want.

Restoring: If you choose, during set-up, to allow google to restore your stuff, you will get most, if not all, of your apps reinstalled. Sometimes the freebies don't reinstall, but you can do that yourself and as I said before, the contacts on google will restore themselves.

Good Luck my friend,
    BigRedGonzo
  3. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

... My Backup Pro backs up data and apps on an un-root-ed Bionic. When I did the FDR I made the backup first and then let it automatically reload everything from Play Store. Three apps were form other sources (two I wrote and FM Radio) and had to be installed from the staging area I have for apps installed not from Play Store.

An FDR can be called from Settings | System Settings | Privacy | Factory data reset and has documentation along the way to tell you what is going on.

... Thom
  4. acejavelin

acejavelin Well-Known Member

Here is the "official" way to factory reset, along with a link on how to hard reset...

https://motorola-global-portal.cust...id-bionic---master-reset-/-factory-data-reset

Be very careful in backup and restore of apps though, especially with My Backup Pro... I HIGHLY recommend NOT restoring apps when going from GB to ICS, lots of people did this with the Rezound and just put problems back into the phone. It is best to do it clean and manually reinstall everything... I did a mini-howto on factory resetting a few months ago, it was for the Rezound but shouldn't be really device specific, if you want I can repost later today in this thread, just let me know.
    Thom likes this.
  5. Thom

Thom Premium Guide Member Guide

I strongly agree.

This is a golden opportunity to get rid of the garbage. If you restore something from Gingerbread ... what did you accomplish with the Factory Data Reset?

After I did the FDR on my Bionic I was missing a ringtone that I really liked that I got through a third-party. I recovered it from the My Backup Pro archive, did a soft reset, and now have it back. (I use it for notifications.)

... Thom
  6. acejavelin

acejavelin Well-Known Member

Found that post if anyone is interested, it has a few minor Rezound specific references but I think it can be applied to any phone with a little bit of tweaking... Here ya go:

A couple of noted missing steps, make sure to disable "Backup my settings" and "Automatic Restore" under Settings-Privacy before starting, and after the FDR when you setup DO NOT select the "Backup my phone to Google" option, just skip it, this can be added later.

I am sure there are few more things some people might want to do, but this is a decent starting point for most.
    rcaine and DanDroide like this.
  7. Satires

Satires Well-Known Member

This has always been the way I've done it. :)
  8. Stingrayracing

Stingrayracing Active Member

Thanks guys for all your help. I did a backup and FDR with no problem. Now my Bionic runs smooth a silk. My lapdock now charges the phone like it did with GB. Now I just have to get used to all the little differences of ICS. So far I really like ICS over GB. My lapdock really screams now; much nicer than with GB.
  9. biker128pedal

biker128pedal Well-Known Member

Is it a good idea to pull out the SD card when doing a FDR? I am backing up data and retrieving passwords to get ready.

I can say the most important thing to do when updating is to pull you external SD card. OR at least back it up. All pictures gone. At least I had saved these. My Tracks gone. Backed them up somewhere. But save time and pull the card.