• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

need help with gingerbread on lg optimus s

dizzle16

Android Enthusiast
May 5, 2011
Cleveland, Ohio
Hey guys,

Im new to the android arena so i signed up with sprint in Feb, got the lg optimus s for free and and very happy with it. Ive logged a lot of research hrs on the phone, the system and what higher end phones can do. I will say i love this phone but recognize its mid level inception. I saw 2 videos on youtube where guys are using Android 2.3 on this model and out simply I hate knowing my phones OS can be upgraded but not being able to do it. Im not a tech wiz but would like to think im smart and I KNOW I CAN FOLLOW A SMARTER PERSONS INSTRUCTIONS. this is a popular phone and while many are happy with it im not convinced upgrading the optimus s is at the top of lg's priorities. I've heard CM7 is what i need to put it on my device but i havent rooted yet and would really, seriously, IMMENSELY appreciate a more tech savy brain to help this infidel out and show me the path to gingerbread on my optimus s.

You have made my night by saying it will be available in may or june. Would you recommend waiting as opposed to rooting and installing cm7 then i have to download the nightlies which i cant even find. As i said this is my VERY FIRST android phone and even with all the research i have done it seems rooting is like heaven, i would like to be there but not quite sure how to get there lol. I have a high IQ, but what i dont have is the $ to repurchase a phone ive only had for 2 mos because i bricked it (even though i pay for handset insurance). so what im saying is can someone tell me step by step how to run 2.3 on my optimus s and by tell me i mean break it down like im a dumbass. this person would be like moses guiding all us optimus s owners to the newest OS out. OR is it a situation where i should be happy with what this phone does and wait for the ota update this summer. every time i visit this page:
The Scott Pilgrim ROM (CM7 Gingerbread, Zefie Edition) (Current: 04282011) - Android Forums
i wanna pull my hair out. HELP

Upvote 0
If your comfortable about rooting I would do it, but if your not I would just wait for the update. I have an optimus t so I can't tell you exactly how to root your device. Androidcentral forums has a good optimus s section where you can find tutorials on how to root so I would start there. The optimus is also my first android and I found rooting an ease and flashing roms with no problems. If you follow directions and don't rush you should have no problems. So goodluck.

Upvote 0
First let me say thanks Feeshie. Did you use the tutorials on this forum when you rooted your optimus? also can you provide me with a link that has the method that was successful for you? Even better can you tell me how to do it since you offered? My last question is are you running CM7 on your optimus? Either way I have to root to get it so your help with that would be seriously appreciated

Upvote 0
Your welcome. I did follow the guides on that forum. The one used is in LG optimus t section and I used the method without a computer method. The process should be similar, but for the optimus s you might need different files than the optimus t so look in your section. I used z4root which is very easy, just pressing one button and the phone is rooted. This is the easiest method but you have to be on froyo 2.2 not 2.2.1+. At the moment I'm not using cm7 but I'm waiting for some bugs to get fixed. I think the cm7 for optimus s is more stable, just look at the thread responses.

Upvote 0
It looks like I'm running 2.2.2 so that should be good. It since I'm a newbie I got a question: would using Z4 root allow me to use Cm7. I ask because the only custom Rom I have my eye on is Cm7 and other I have seen online where people have said you might need to do other things maybe as a superuser and doing it the long way might prove to be useful down the road.

Upvote 0
It looks like I'm running 2.2.2 so that should be good. It since I'm a newbie I got a question: would using Z4 root allow me to use Cm7. I ask because the only custom Rom I have my eye on is Cm7 and other I have seen online where people have said you might need to do other things maybe as a superuser and doing it the long way might prove to be useful down the road.

You have to have straight 2.2 to use z4root but there are other methods so you can still root your optimus. After you root, you make a custom recovery, and then you flash cm7. That's basically the process

Upvote 0
This will prob be my last question. Looking at the software on my phone my baseband version is LS670MVD_60401001 and my SW Version is LS670ZVD on the guides i see V9 and VC. I would imagine you're gonna say i have to revert back to probably V9. what do i need to revert back to and maybe i missed it but are there instructions on how to do it?

Upvote 0
This will prob be my last question. Looking at the software on my phone my baseband version is LS670MVD_60401001 and my SW Version is LS670ZVD on the guides i see V9 and VC. I would imagine you're gonna say i have to revert back to probably V9. what do i need to revert back to and maybe i missed it but are there instructions on how to do it?

I'm actually not sure about that so I can't help you there. I would go post that question on android central's guide to rooting the Optimus S. I haven't heard of someone reverting that, only heard of flashing down back to 2.2 so yeah.

Upvote 0
hey nevermind feeshie. I got as far as putting the Android SDKtoolsin my variable path and downloading adb using this guide: forum.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/66768-how-guide-rooting-software-version-ls670zvd-outdated.html
but when i got to step one i dn know what the hell he's talking about so I guess im not tech savy enough to be attempting to root this phone. thx anyway

Upvote 0
Hi Dizzle. Try the zvd rooting method on Android Central. The people there are super knowledgeable and if you post a particular problem along with any error messages you receive they will help. I wish I could help but while I was able to use the zvd method to root my daughter's phone I didn't run into any problems so I don't know enough to help you troubleshoot. Good luck and hope I have helped in some small way. :)

Upvote 0
Thanks CarrieK. I've seen your name on threads relating to rooting the optimus s and know your knowledgeable. Thanks for trying to help. I was so determined to root this bad boy a few days ago but this was all brought on when I learned about gingerbread and the CM7 custom rom. I really want that rom but don't want to jack up my phone. It was a situation where I downloaded the programs I needed but didn't understand the first step LOL. The lingo is unfamiliar to me and I think it's a situation where I didn't know as much as I thought I did. But I am almost certain if I don't get the 2.3 update soon I will try again. If I didn't understand the first step I probably have no buisness trying. Members have said I need to be more specific but I got the programs I need but don't know where to starts and with my phone software I don't think I can use the guide posted. I have vd not v9 or vc

Upvote 0
Thanks CarrieK. I've seen your name on threads relating to rooting the optimus s and know your knowledgeable. Thanks for trying to help. I was so determined to root this bad boy a few days ago but this was all brought on when I learned about gingerbread and the CM7 custom rom. I really want that rom but don't want to jack up my phone. It was a situation where I downloaded the programs I needed but didn't understand the first step LOL. The lingo is unfamiliar to me and I think it's a situation where I didn't know as much as I thought I did. But I am almost certain if I don't get the 2.3 update soon I will try again. If I didn't understand the first step I probably have no buisness trying. Members have said I need to be more specific but I got the programs I need but don't know where to starts and with my phone software I don't think I can use the guide posted. I have vd not v9 or vc

Here is an LG Optimus S on eBay for $0.99 (current bid). It says it's broken, but it's just the casing is heavily worn/cracked. The rest is functional. For about $10 you could have a phone to play with. If you brick it so what?

There are tons of other Optimus S's on there that have been locked (bad ESN) going for a buck plus shipping. That would be a super cheap way to try rooting your phone without the worry of bricking it. Of course if you are successful, you won't be able to use the phone with a bad ESN, but who cares. Give to your little brother and tell him it's an MP3 player.

Just a thought. :)

LG LS670 Optimus S (Sprint)!!! | eBay

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones