• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Need help with messaging app..

I dont know if this is possible or if there is an app out there to help me with this. I am a volunteer firefighter and our county just started using text messaging with dispatches. The problem is the text address will never be the same.. like dispatch1@fire.alert.com.. but then the next dispatch will be dispatch2@fire.alert.com.. is there a way to have a messaging app group all of the fire.alert.com messages even though the first part will never be the same? I also have weather alerts from alertpa.org that are in the same format. Is there a way to group these alerts so that when I get a fire page it alerts me with a different ringtone? I currently use Go SMS Pro and know how to set up individual settings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The only way I can think to accomplish that would be to use a forwarding app like PhoneLeash or dgAway, and use it to forward to a second number on your phone (e.g., Google Voice or HeyWire). Since the text arriving at the second number will always appear to be originating from your primary number (the one that is forwarded), all incoming text will be in the same thread like you want. The downside to this method is that you have to remember to activate/deactivate forwarding when you go on/off duty. Also, if you have a limited text plan, the forwarding will hit you for two messages for every one received.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones