• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need help with OTA updates

I'm a complete noob with this. I just got my droid x and rooted it. Now it downloaded an OTA update and I keep hitting install later and it keeps popping up every two hours. How can I block this/get rid of the update it has already downloaded? I think the update was to go from 2.2 to 2.2.3. Ugh. I don't want to lose my root. Thanks in advance!

Let it install. It's a good update. The use Download z4root 1.3.0 for Android Free - z4root will root your device and enable you to supply system level access to applications that request it. - Softpedia (z4root) to re-root. It's easy. Download it from this site ^ then install it.

Then reboot. After rebooting, select the "permanent root" option. Let it do its thing. It'll take a minute or three and will reboot you into root. :)

PM me if you need further help.

Finally, I have to move this to the root section, but I'll leave a long redirect for ya! :)

Reactions: Dieewigeteufel
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
1) Make sure you wipe data and cache first. If you don't, when you boot into 2.2.1, you may get a boot animation loop (bootloop). I did. If you do, that's no problem.
Just pull the battery. Put it back in. Hold down the HOME button, then put the power button down. When you get a \!/ notice, hit the search button.

You'll get into the recovery mode. Do a data wipe and you'll be set and you'll boot into a fresh 2.2.1

Upvote 0
1) You've rebooted into recovery (clockworkmod recovery)
2) press the volume down to go to wipe data/factory reset. Select it by hitting the camera button.
3) Scroll down to yes and hit the camera button again.

4) scroll to "install zip from sd card" and select it.
5) find your maderstock file on your sd card by navigating with the scrolling button. Select it and leave it alone for 5 or so minutes. It takes a bit to install itself.

Upvote 0
You are set, now. Your rom is the newest OTA rom. You can keep the zip file in case you want to go back to stock, say, if you have to or want to return your device so that Verizon doesn't know you were rooted.

From here, apply z4Root and you'll be rooted. Let us know if you want help/suggestions putting in different roms and themes and help with overclocking (that's the fun part). :D

Upvote 0
Reactions: Dieewigeteufel
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones