Need help with phone reception please

Last Updated:

1. javid

javid New Member This Topic's Starter

Hi All, I got the Droid about a month ago and love it. I do have a problem though: My house is in the same town as a non-verizon CDMA tower (US Cellular) and very far away from the nearest Verizon tower. With my other Verizon phones (older handsets), they just connect to the close tower and have full signal all the time without any issues. My Droid, on the other hand, will always try to stay connected to the distant Verizon tower - it can be very difficult and frustrating to make calls with the Droid because there is often no signal and the phone is unable to place a call. I don't need the 3G at home, as the Droid can use my wireless for browsing, etc. How can I get the Droid to stop trying to connect to the distant Verizon tower and connect to the nearby partner tower instead (so that I have high-quality phone signal at home)? I have called Verizon and Motorola and nothing seems to help. Please help! Thanks, Jason

Advertisement
  2. square

square Well-Known Member

*228 option 2 ?

3. javid

*228 is what Verizon recommended. I have done it many times with no noticeable difference made in my home reception. I am willing to give up all 3g functionality (not that I have any to speak of) at home if it would just connect to the strong CDMA signal from the local tower...

4. messenger13

messenger13 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if this will help, but...

Settings > Wireless & networks > Mobile networks > System select > "Automatic"

5. javid

Thanks for the replies - already set to "automatic" Doesn't anyone else have this problem? Any solutions out there?? The phone signal from the Verizon tower is so bad that calls usually won't even work, so I don't think an amplifier is a good idea... Thanks, Jason

6. square

square Well-Known Member

this may sound drastic....but have you considered cutting down that vzw tower?

7. bigbee

bigbee Well-Known Member

Since your Preferred Roaming List (PRL) is most likely up to date, you might want to try the two options under Settings...Wireless & network settings...Mobile networks. You will most likely not get hit with data roaming charges if your phone happens to hop off your WLAN and onto the U.S. Cellular 3G system, but you should double-check this with Verizon.