• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

[Sprint] Need help with rooting galaxy nexus on mac.

cannon11

Aug 22, 2012
Wisconsin
I am reading a walkthrough to root my sprint samsung galaxy nexus. I probably could've just posted it right on the thread but I wasn't sure if it would be answered there.
I am having issues with step 3: Just the part where it says : Once the command line is open CD to the directory that you unziped the file to.

Note yours may be different, you are changing the directory to where you unzipped the file to myine happens to be desktop>GalaxyNexusRootMac

I don't get what "CD to the directory that you unzipped your file to" means. Can anyone explain that a little more just so I don't mess up and I can root my phone without a problem?
thanks!! :D

And is there anyway at all to root my gnex without erasing all my data?

Change the default directory to the one that has the files you got from the zip file.

If you're rooting the GNex by putting su, busybox and SuperSU on it, you won't lose your data. If you're doing it any other way (and it sounds as if you're running some program to do it), you may or may not lose your data, depending on what the program does.

You're in a totally black room, feeling round for a totally black cat that may or may not have claws. You have a flashlight in your hand (the internet), but you refuse to turn it on (learn how to manually root your phone).

Upvote 0
Thread moved into the All Things Root forum specific for the Sprint Galaxy Nexus. :thumbup:

Could you link us to the walkthrough that you're using? We'd probably be better able to help you with that information.

To do it the "correct" way, you would have to unlock the device's bootloader (with the command fastboot oem unlock to be able to write anything non-official (usually a community-built recovery image like ClockworkMod or TWRP); a condition of using fastboot oem unlock is that it formats the device (this is for your protection - a thief wouldn't be able to root a stolen device and access the data contained on it).

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones