need help with wifi trther

Last Updated:

1. dxc

dxc Member This Topic's Starter

i am trying to find out a way to get wifi tethering on my phone and idk what im doing wrong. ive tryed different apps, roms and kernels with no luck. can anyone pls help me?

Advertisement
  2. caustic

caustic Well-Known Member

Did you download the wifi tether app?

3. dxc

yes branacle and wireless tether cant get ether to work

4. bowtieduece

bowtieduece Active Member

same here using cm6 nightlie 8-15, usb tether works though

5. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

You have to have a new kernel to use WiFi tether app, I ain't been able to use barnacle since I've upgraded to Froyo. So download and flash a new kernal. This may fix your problem.

6. dxc

Which kernal is best for wifi tether? We have tried a couple, Chevyno1 and P3droid. neither seem to work.

7. mchauber

mchauber Member

You might be running into the same problem as I. You need IPTables enabled in your kernel for tethering to work.

8. dxc

How do you enable IPTables?

9. mchauber

mchauber Member

The kernel has to be recompiled with iptables enabled. That's what I'm trying to figure out how to do now via my other thread.

http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/150318-compiling-kernel-source.html#post1379680

There's a link to a how-to in my post that I found via google, but I'm a bit weary of following it because I don't know if there's anything hardware specific or version specific that I need to be aware of. This whole Android thing is pretty new to me, but I definitely want to learn (without bricking the phone, of course! :) ).

10. G.Armour

G.Armour You know you want to. VIP Member

^^^ Just so you know, I've never had to do this. Try the WiFi app for root users that's in the market. If it won't work when you start it up, go into the settings and change the channel. Repeat until your computer connects. But, that's only if your computer sees your WiFi signal but won't connect, which. I'm assuming is the problem.
    If your running Froyo on your phone, don't try Barnacle WiFi app, last time I tried, my computer couldn't enemy see it. They may have fixed it, but not sure. At any rate, I hope this helps.

11. mchauber

mchauber Member

I stand corrected. I was under the assumption that tethering required iptables.

I just tested it and the WiFi app (for root) seems to work for me after following this sticky thread (for rooting 2.2):

http://androidforums.com/1300363-post1.html

MC

PS. Works with the ChevyLV .8 GHz kernel as well.

12. bill hilt

bill hilt Active Member

why cant i see that root guide NEVER MIND

13. jayk

jayk New Member

Do you remember doing anything else when you rooted 2.2? Did you do the data/cache wipe?

I had wifi tethering working on a release of Bugless Beast, but wifi itself could not connect. Now I'm on a simply stunning build with a Chevy kernel and wifi works great, but wifi tethering doesn't work. I've tried a couple Chevy kernels and have the same problem with wifi tether.

I think you are correct that the android-wifi-tether does require iptables. Some of the kernel's have it built in though so you shouldn't have to recompile from scratch.

FWIW - Barnacle hasn't worked on any of the builds.

Is there another wifi app on the market that is neither barnacle or the android-wifi-tether? Don't have my phone with me or I would have checked.

14. jayk

jayk New Member

Got it to work by going to menu -> settings -> menu -> Re-Install binaries/configs as suggested on the FAQ.

15. Trofn8er

Trofn8er Active Member

What app are you using?

16. dxc

ive been using the wifi tether app i still cant get it to work. but its not a lose my wife got it to work on her phone and she wont let me live it down lol

17. i_am_booked

i_am_booked Well-Known Member

I had a problem of the wireless tether app connecting to my pc but not getting an internet connection. Just open the app then Menu->Setup->Menu->Reinstall binaries/configs.

That worked for me. That info is also coming straight from Google.

18. Amrov

Amrov Well-Known Member

Barnacle, on 2.2, requires you to deactivate an option for it to work (the developer posted this note on his site). I've gotten it to work on 2.2 and on LFY1.5 (based on 2.2). Go into Barnacle's settings, and uncheck "skip wpa_supplicant" and see if it works.