need help with wiping/reseting and rooting

Last Updated:

1. atom631

atom631 Active Member This Topic's Starter

my phone was running really slow. it lost that new phone feel. so i decided that i was going to wipe the phone and start fresh. once, i decided to do that, i then figured why the hell not and rooted the phone.

well, everything worked, but i have a mess of questions, so here goes:

- when i wiped/reset my phone i expected that everything would be gone. i did this by holding "x" and power and then chose to wipe from there. i also chose to wipe the cache partition too. well after i rebooted, i noticed my custom wallpaper and a bunch of applications were still installed on my phone??? the reason i wanted to do this was to get rid of everything and start fresh...but all these apps were still there. did i not wipe the phone correctly?

- next i installed sprecovery on my phone. that went fine.

- i then wiped it again and installed JRummys cyanogen remix 5.0.7.1.

- Right off the bat, my phone is running slower than ever. When exiting from an app by hitting the home screen, sometime i just get a blank screen that sits there for a few seconds before my icons pop up. what gives?

next i have a few questions regarding this ROM. i do hope to sort out my performance/wipe issues then re-install this ROM...but im confused on a few things.

my main question is...what now??? i went through this phone and I dont see all these crazy features i was expecting to see. (overclocking, tethering, etc.) i see an icon that says "superuser permission" but when i open it up, its just a blank screen.

i went through "spare parts" and all it seems to just be is a lot of graphical tweaks/changes.

i was hoping that i would be able to install my apps to my SD card. well when i go into manage applications, the option "Apps2SD" is greyed out and wont let me chose it! wtf??

please help me get my droid back on track!!

Advertisement
  2. bufftallica

bufftallica Active Member

As for your apps coming back when you rebooted the phone, is it at all possible that they had enough time to re-download and re-install? Apps are backed up in to Google's cloud on a per user account, and your custom wallpaper is on your SG, so resetting your phone is not going to format your SD (afaik).

Tethering and overclocking require separate apps downloaded from the market...I'm no longer rooted and I had no reason to tether, however, I used to use 'SetCPU for Root Users' which does cost a little bit of money.

3. bufftallica

PS the reason I ended up unrooting and using stock android updates is because my phone became noticeably slower even with the overclock and best ROMs out there...so IMHO, I suggest unrooting AND wiping the phone. And to be perfectly honest, the only thing I miss from being rooted is the black notification bar and black skinned facebook widget...

4. atom631

thanks for the reply... i dont think it would have been possible for all those apps to have re-downloaded so fast.

we are talking:

handscent
    astro
    documents2go
    facebook
    google skymap
    googe translator
    pandora
    snesoid

they were all still on my phone...only about 5-10 apps got wiped.

also..... this ROM doesnt have visuam VM and i cant find it for download on the market?? ack!!! i love visual vm!!

5. bufftallica

I just tried searching for Visual VM as well and you are right, it IS gone. However, a better alternative is Google Voice, and it's open to the public now...you should check it out. I use it as visual voicemail app plus it transcribes voicemails (not very good but funny).

6. keepervq

keepervq Active Member

com.vzw.vvm.androidclient.apk

I believe that is the vvm installer, found it in another thread on a different forum but I'm 100% positive I've seen it on this forum in the root subsection but didn't feel like digging through there.

7. atom631

sweet thanks.

i also re-wiped my phone and this time everythng was gone. so i am now officially starting from scratch. that did seem to help with the performance issues too.

however, can someone still explain to me why "apps2SD" is greyed out? i really want to install all my apps on the SD card, but I cant with it being greyed out.

EDIT: i installed ROM Manager and it formatted my SD card for me. looks like i good to go now.

i installed setCPU and i have it set to 700min/850max and it makes a huge difference in the performance. i didnt want to max it out at 1000 b/c im worried about cooking the CPU. any idea what optimal settings are for the droid that will keep it in the comfort zone?