Need help with Yahoo Push Email and K-9?Support

Last Updated:

1. michael800

michael800 Member This Topic's Starter

I'm trying to setup K-9 to push Yahoo mail using IMAP. Can anyone post the settings I need to use to make this work? I've tried several settings and I still don't get the email unless I go into K-9 and hit "check mail".

Is this possible with the free Yahoo mail or do I need Yahoo Plus account to make this work with K-9?

Advertisement
  2. jree

jree Well-Known Member

I don't think that there is an app that truly uses push email outside of G-Mail. I've been using maildroid and I don't love it but can live with it. I don't know about K-9 but in maildroid you can go to the settings and set to scan how often you want it to for new mail. Only thing about maildroid is that if you have attachments you have to download one of their file managers.

3. vuvision

vuvision Well-Known Member

Not true, K-9 pushes IMAP instantly. I've used maildroid and I don't think it comes close to K-9's capability in term of customization & UI friendly. K-9 is by far the best 3rd party email app in the market right now, I ditched mailroid ater a few hours of tinkering with it.

michael800 - Go to manual setup > IMAP account and set to:

Imap server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
    SMTP Server- smtp.mobile.mail.yahoo.com
    Security type: SSL (if available)
    Leave Port as what ever the default number is.

4. michael800

michael800 Member This Topic's Starter

I tried those settings and sent an email to myself from the same K9 account and waited on the home screen for like 5 minutes and no notifications. I then went into K9 and on top my inbox was stuck showing "polling", but never received the email. I then hit "check mail" and nothing but the polling message on top.

Does push with K9 work over Edge and Wifi or just 3G only? Is there any other settings I need to change to make this work? I have the polling set to "Never" in the under folder sync in the account settings.

Under "Incoming server settings" do I leave "Poll when connecting for push" checked and keep "Refresh IDLE connection" at 24 minutes?

After hitting "Next" when setting up "Outgoing server settings" the "Account options" menu has "Folder poll check frequency" set to "Never" and "Enable push mail for this account" checked..are those correct settings?

5. vuvision

vuvision Well-Known Member

I haven't use my yahoo email in a long while. But I just setup my yahoo to K-9 and sent a few emails to it and I noticed it's not instant. I had to refresh to retreive my yahoo emails, I set the interval to every minute and was able to receive email OK at every minute. Google doesn't play nice with Yahoo. ;)

Try the setting at a certain interval instead of never, and leave everything else at default (that's what I did).

6. maza918

maza918 New Member

Has anyone gotten the K-9 Mail App to work for PUSH email for Yahoo Mail? I've been using the Yahoo Mail App but would prefer to use the K-9 Mail App if only I could get it to work with the PUSH functionality like the Yahoo Mail App. Please post specific settings if you've gotten this to work.

Thanks!

7. whatsitsname

whatsitsname Well-Known Member

I don't think yahoo mail supports push email on imap (at least not the free one). Don't quote me on this though. Gmail for sure does push email imap.

8. KuMotif

KuMotif Member

I am having the same problem with Yahoo Push email on my Samsung Epic Touch using K-9 mail. Yahoo does have imap push email, even with a free account, because it works with every Blackberry out there. And K-9 works perfectly for my AOL and Exchange accounts. I am not sure if the issue is with K-9 or Yahoo.

Like one of you suggested, I could set polling to every minute, but I shouldn't have to do it, if it were true push email.

Has anyone been able to figure out how to setup push email with a free Yahoo account on Android??

The Yahoo Mail app from the market is a serious battery drain.

If anyone has any updates, I would really appreciate it.

Thank you.

9. Evak

Evak Member

K9 doesn't push yahoo accounts at all. Your stuck with polling every few minutes. That's why I swapped to Maidroid which pushes yahoo just fine. Haven't coughed up for the AD free version yet.

Really wanted to use K9 but the author has chosen to completely ignore all complaints regarding pushing Yahoo simply because Yahoo doesn't use the standard he wants to support. There's about a dozen requests to have it fixed in the developer bug tracking logs, but he blames yahoo and doesn't seem to care that a major ISP (AT&T) uses yahoo exclusively for email. Someone even posted a article that shows how Apple and other email clients push yahoo successfully.

Till he has a change of heart and stops ignoring it, I'm ignoring K9. Shame because other than that it's a great email client and would be the best.