• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need help withSamsung Kies please...

i installed with win 7 (64 bit) usb drivers when i first got my phone and was able to connect my phone and access the memory card.

i downloaded Kies from samsung (using the UK as my country) and installed it, rebooted and connected my phone. it saw the phone immediately and i was able to access my contacts, photos, etc. i was able to edit my contacts and save a back up...the Kies software is actually pretty nice.

i remember reading something about having microsoft's .net framework 4 updates installed before installing Kies...which i had already done on my computer.

i haven't been able to get Kies to work on my win XP machine at work but i'm going to try again now.

Upvote 0
That sticky had drivers listed at the top, but they were the wrong drivers! I had the same issue and got the drivers from Samsung. I put a link in that thread in post #14

Support for Samsung Captivate? (SGH-i897) SAMSUNG

Oh...and if you're using a custom launcher (ADW or LauncherPro), you'll have to set your launcher back to TouchWiz or the MTP application won't load on your phone.

Upvote 0
for what its worth i never touch the usb settings when attaching my phone to either my XP or Win7 computers whether i'm just connecting to windows without Kies running (to access the phone like mass storage mode) or when i have Kies running to edit contacts, etc.

one thing i do, do is get out of adw launcher and go back into Tw launcher (which is stock) - other wise i get an error about not being able to connect while running an active home screen or something...

Upvote 0
That sticky had drivers listed at the top, but they were the wrong drivers! I had the same issue and got the drivers from Samsung. I put a link in that thread in post #14

Support for Samsung Captivate? (SGH-i897) SAMSUNG

Oh...and if you're using a custom launcher (ADW or LauncherPro), you'll have to set your launcher back to TouchWiz or the MTP application won't load on your phone.

This is probably why my phone stopped working in MTP mode. I will attempt to set launcher back to touchwiz. If not to much to ask how can I do that? No worries I'm about to google it anyways but in case you know please let me know Thank You!:cool:

Upvote 0
Can anyone get Kies to sync recurring all-day events like Birthdays and Anniversaries? All other appointments seem to sync without an issue.

I must agree that Kies is one of the worse pieces of software I ever tried. Looks like Samsung spent a lot of time building a "pretty" UI, but spent very little time making sure the functions of the application actually worked. This thing is like nice looking house with a cracked foundation.

Upvote 0
I'll say. Although I have managed to connect to Kies (took a while, what with all the quirks, plus updates, etc etc), I still have not managed to sync my Outlook contacts with my phone. Possibly its because I have a very old version of Outlook? I'm not sure. Can anyone describe to me what happens when they made this syncing of contacts work?

Also, should contacts go on the phone, or on the sim? And what is the benefit to either place?

Thanks!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones