Need help withSamsung Kies please...Support

Last Updated:

1. JahFtb

JahFtb Member This Topic's Starter

I'm having problems, I got the drivers for the Captivate and can see the phone in mass storage but with Kies installed on my Laptop and open when connecting the phone set to Kies it's not registering am I doing something wrong?

Advertisement
  2. novagator

novagator Well-Known Member

I had the same problem, so I'm just syncing in mass storage mode. I may be wrong, but maybe it has something to do with the fact that I could only download the Kies software from the Samsung site if I put in a country other than the United States?

3. Loremonger

Loremonger Well-Known Member

Are you running Windows 7? I still haven't gotten those drivers to work right for 7. Try visiting the sticky at the top of the forum and installing the Galaxy S drivers instead of the Captivate-specific drivers.

4. harryzwd

harryzwd Well-Known Member

i installed with win 7 (64 bit) usb drivers when i first got my phone and was able to connect my phone and access the memory card.

i downloaded Kies from samsung (using the UK as my country) and installed it, rebooted and connected my phone. it saw the phone immediately and i was able to access my contacts, photos, etc. i was able to edit my contacts and save a back up...the Kies software is actually pretty nice.

i remember reading something about having microsoft's .net framework 4 updates installed before installing Kies...which i had already done on my computer.

i haven't been able to get Kies to work on my win XP machine at work but i'm going to try again now.

5. harryzwd

i was just able to get this working on my win XP computer as well. I'm not sure why i was having problems the first time out, but Kies is working with no problems. i just backed up my contacts and added a couple of calendar items. nice.

6. JahFtb

I'll try all this, thanks!

7. Vee

Vee Well-Known Member

I don't even under stand what Keis is used for...

8. harryzwd

9. Bon1380

Bon1380 Active Member

Have you set your phone's USB settings for Samsung Kies?

10. JahFtb

Yess when I have it set to Kies my laptop doesn't see anything connected but also when I attempt to install any of the drivers windows 7 fairs to find the bluetooth and says the installation was not successful...

11. MrTony

MrTony Banned

That sticky had drivers listed at the top, but they were the wrong drivers! I had the same issue and got the drivers from Samsung. I put a link in that thread in post #14

Support for Samsung Captivate? (SGH-i897) SAMSUNG

Oh...and if you're using a custom launcher (ADW or LauncherPro), you'll have to set your launcher back to TouchWiz or the MTP application won't load on your phone.

12. ilusv

ilusv Well-Known Member

I tried and two different platforms and failed xp 32bit and vista 64 bit... for some reason I couldn't get it to work.

13. harryzwd

for what its worth i never touch the usb settings when attaching my phone to either my XP or Win7 computers whether i'm just connecting to windows without Kies running (to access the phone like mass storage mode) or when i have Kies running to edit contacts, etc.

one thing i do, do is get out of adw launcher and go back into Tw launcher (which is stock) - other wise i get an error about not being able to connect while running an active home screen or something...

14. MrTony

MrTony Banned

Ya know...I also forgot - quite a few of us had trouble using the front USB ports on the computer. I switched to the ports on the back (the ones attached directly to the motherboard) and haven't had a problem since.

15. JahFtb

All I have is my laptop so I'm guessing they are connected right to the motherboard...

16. JahFtb

Ugh the frustration, I've tried all the drivers, uninstalling, reinstalling, restarting pc, phone, both and still Kies doesn't see my phone, WTF

17. ilusv

ilusv Well-Known Member

I gave up on getting to work, wasted an entire Sunday. you are not alone

18. JahFtb

Nevermind, I clicked the Device Connection guide in the top right and tried it on bluetooth then cable and in cable it FINALLY connected! Editng my contacts now! Finally!

19. JahFtb

And now beyond that one use I can't get it to connect again...

20. mrknowldge

mrknowldge New Member

This is probably why my phone stopped working in MTP mode. I will attempt to set launcher back to touchwiz. If not to much to ask how can I do that? No worries I'm about to google it anyways but in case you know please let me know Thank You!:cool:

21. SlappyMcgee

SlappyMcgee Well-Known Member

Grab "Home Switcher" from the app market to change your default launcher.

22. Jack45

Jack45 Well-Known Member

Ah, yes. Kies. Samsung's gift to those contemplating suicide but are looking for just one more reason to push them over the edge.

I have yet to see a step-by-step solution that works for this, the crappiest piece of software ever devised by man.

23. blackhemi

blackhemi Well-Known Member

Kies messed up everything, the drivers for the phone on the pc and tons of settings on my phone, and it still didnt work right. So far, not impressed with Kies. Someone told me to try it in a different region. Well, im in the USA, so thats what I selected. :-/

24. tamanaco

tamanaco Well-Known Member

Can anyone get Kies to sync recurring all-day events like Birthdays and Anniversaries? All other appointments seem to sync without an issue.

I must agree that Kies is one of the worse pieces of software I ever tried. Looks like Samsung spent a lot of time building a "pretty" UI, but spent very little time making sure the functions of the application actually worked. This thing is like nice looking house with a cracked foundation.

25. Rardac

Rardac Active Member

I'll say. Although I have managed to connect to Kies (took a while, what with all the quirks, plus updates, etc etc), I still have not managed to sync my Outlook contacts with my phone. Possibly its because I have a very old version of Outlook? I'm not sure. Can anyone describe to me what happens when they made this syncing of contacts work?

Also, should contacts go on the phone, or on the sim? And what is the benefit to either place?

Thanks!