need helpSupport

Last Updated:

1. chandu1987

chandu1987 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I am goin to get xperia X10 today under AT & T 2 yr contract. My old phone is sony w518a. I am so impressed with the music quality, so i went for sony again. But now i have seen so many negative comments on that phone. I am so confused now. Should i exchange it for samsung captivate?
    My first priority is music but iam gonna use it for browsing, installing various apps and games too. I heard samsung captivate is up to date but some are saying it is not stable. So please suggest something, should I keep my xperia or should i go and xchange for captivate?

Advertisement
  2. CuBz

CuBz Well-Known Member

Well if your main priority is music, I wouldn't get the Xperia as the speakers are not very loud, unless that wouldn't bother you

3. chandu1987

I listen to the music in the earphones only. I dont bother about the speaker as i dont use that.

I will be gettin xperia today, so iam gonna see by myself, the performance of xperia. But i dont know nything about captivate. Is it worth to exchange with this xperia. Guys plzz reply.

4. CuBz

CuBz Well-Known Member

Well if the speaker isn't a problem, and you're not bothered about waiting till the end of october to get 2.1 android update, then I would highly recommend the Xperia X10. I have been through many smartphones in my life, and the Xperia is by far the best, regardless of what other people are saying about it. I wouldn't change it for any other phone :)

5. chandu1987

thanq so much for ur reply....I just got my phone...and its simply awesome. Music qualtiy is also good. But I dint find any equalizer:( . But this is my first touchscreen, smartphone and i can say iam satisfied with these features. I guess i will keep this phone.

6. CuBz

CuBz Well-Known Member

I also looked for an equaliser when I first got the Xperia, as all my previous SE phones had one

7. gunny5821

gunny5821 Well-Known Member

Well, let me see if I can shed some light on this subject for you! I purchased the Captivate first and had it for 2 weeks! The Great things about the Captivate are:

A review of the Samsung Captivate:
    1. The OS: It is 2.1 and will be getting 2.2 probably within the next 30-45 days, as is planned.
    2. The Screen: The best screen out there, Super Amoled. Only phone that maybe beats it is the iPhone with its retina display. Of course I am not comparing the screen against the other Galaxy S phones as they could be considered the Captivates Brothers and Sisters. The screen is Multi-Touch (meaning it is great for playing games and pinch zooming in and out, etc..). It is "Suppose" to be the Gorilla Glass, but some say no, but the people who make the glass say it is. So what is Gorilla Glass, it is suppose to prevent all, but the worse Scratches. As claims go for this glass, Scratches will NOT happen, unless you do something crazy on purpose. Watching an HD movie on this phone is a new experience, to the point that it may be jaw dropping. You can watch movies with good color and balance and all in HD! A very strong point.
    3. GPS: Here is the Achilles heel. This is Broke and has been noted by Samsung as being so. They are supposed to be releasing a fix for this any day now. Some people claim that their phones work great (New Purchases, Maybe fixed at factory? Probably) and never had an issue, where others claim the exact opposite. If GPS is a must have thing for you, bare these points in mind.
    4. External Speaker: Hands down the Captivate wins here, really no comparison.
    5. Music Dolby 5.1: The Captivate has "Virtual" Dolby 5.1, meaning if you listen to music through your headphones, either the ones supplied (Not recommended) or a higher quality set of cans, your ears will be hearing Dolby 5.1. The Virtual is undetectable and it just sounds fabulous! It also has an Equalizer and Cover Flow (Like the iPhone). This is one of the BEST phones in the Android world for listening to music. If this is a BIG concern, you will want this phone. The X10 cannot compete with it!
    6. Memory: Has 512MB of RAM and 16GB of internal Storage! You can add on another 32GB of external storage via the MicroSD card.
    7. Camera: Has a 5 Mega Pixel camera with NO flash LED. Have video recording capabilities in 720 HD! The Camera is good and the video is awesome!
    8. Construction: Built mainly of High Grade Plastics, but it does have a Composite battery cover, which is very cool and very unique in how it opens..
    9. Software Package: Yet another Achilles heel. Weak, can get the job done, but that's about it. No bells and whistles here!

A review of the Sony Xperia X10. I will only discuss the topics I discussed above, as any other mix would not be fair:
    1. The OS: This is the Achilles heel of this phone! We currently have a very OUT DATED OS, which is 1.6. Sony initially told us that we would go to 2.1 by the end of the 3rd qtr. That has been a false statement and now they say a roll out will begin somewhere around the end of Oct, and will be in 2 phases. Regarding 2.2, I seriously doubt this phone will ever see it. This has created a HUGE problem within the community to a scale of huge proportions. You need to be aware of this! If you go with this phone, you better be prepared to like and like for awhile the 1.6 OS. Keep in mind, Sony may release the 2.1 update, but it will happen in Europe first. We on AT&T will probably not see it until early next year!!!
    2. Screen: The screen is a good screen with 64K colors, but it will NEVER have 16 Million Colors and will NEVER have Multi-Touch, regardless of the OS. It is just a good screen and scratch resistant. Beware that is already has a Screen Protector on it from the Factory and it is a high quality protector; however, some like the screen naked as they feel the screen has a better response time. I personally favor that type of screen, but I also baby the phone to ensure it gets NO scratches...
    3. GPS: This works flawless, it is quick and it does the job as it is suppose to. If you need the GPS immediately, you will want this phone for this reason alone.
    4. External Speaker: Weak, I don't know what Sony was thinking about when they made this speaker, but it wasn't to listen to music through it long term. The Headset, is very good however, which kind of makes up for the lacking speaker, but unless you like a wired headset, it may be a mute point.
    5. Music: This phone uses an interface called MediaScape. It is pretty cool and does a very nice job of displaying the music and spooling it up for you to listen to. It does create a nice atmosphere for listening to music, but that is about as far as it goes..
    6. Memory: Has 384MB of RAM and 1GB of internal memory. Can add on a 32GB MicroSD card for added external memory. It gets the job done, but is again, another Achilles heel! See the problem, beside the low memory is that the 1.6OS doesn't allow you to move anything around, so you are stuck with what you get from AT&T, which by the way adds its own bloat ware, which you may or may not like.
    7. Camera: The BEST part of the phone is the 8.1 Mega Pixel camera. Now since we have 1.6 OS (See how this causes problems), the LED flash does not work correctly (Will need to purchase a program from the market to fix until the OS does) and we also do NOT have the 720 HD video. This is a huge Achilles heel!
    8. Construction: This is one of the best looking Android Phones on the market and is probably the main driving force as to why people buy this phone! Yes it is all high grade plastic, but it is a beautiful design and the rubber type coating on the back along with the rounded shape is very comfortable! A Huge PLUS...
    9. Software: Another good part and a strong contender to do as it should! The software package is complete and does exactly what it is supposed to do and does is very nicely!

A wrap up: Some say the Samsung Touch Wiz (The user interface on top of Android) is lame, but it does have a lot of features and to be honest, with the 2.1 OS, it can be replaced (if you don't like it) with a number of different launchers from the Market. If I knew than, what I know now, I do believe I would have stayed with the Captivate! I purchased the X10 due to the construction and the "Promised OS Upgrades", which have now been delayed and 2.2 will probably never appear! So as it stands, I find that I must accept what I have and "Make due" with the OS limitations. So I have a good phone that does what it does very well. It was suppose to be a High End phone, but that has all changed. Like I said, I am happy with it as I must be and the does the basics well. However, I wanted and thought I was getting a High End phone, not the case and very disappointing!

You will find, if you look, any number of little problems that people either complain about and rightly so and others that complain to stir up arguments in the forums. Any NEW owner who goes into the forums prior to making a purchase is in for a wicked ride. Why do I say this, because only the people who complain, or have legit issues go to the forums for help! The hard part for a new user is how to differentiate between the good ones and the bad ones. Well you are on the right path as you came and sought out advice, but remember, it is ONLY advice and the real deal is YOU. You’re the one who will be locked to the phone you choose for 2 years, unless you’re rich and can buy a phone whenever the wind blows.

I am NOT going to tell you what you should buy nor will I even suggest it! That is a very personal decision and should remain so. I will present the info "AS I See It" and let you take it from there. Both phones have their Pro and Cons and it is up to the person buying the phone to determine what is important for them!

Good Luck and I hope you are happy with your Smartphone.......