• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need Help

IBNMUDN

Mar 6, 2013
Hello all. I am the owner of an HTC REZOUND VER 4.0.3. I know absolutely nothing about the root process except the fact that it gives me total freedom of my phone. I am on verizon's unlimited data plan and want to take full advantage of free tethering to my samsung galaxy tab 2. I have recently tried a root but was unsuccesful in doing so. I know the people on here are extremely smartnand a lot of time goes into answering these problems for us newbies. Hopefully someone can help me with this problem. One thing is something about a kernel. I have no idea what this but I know it is very important when tethering. Any help with would be great and I would be totally in debt to you. Thanks in advance for all your hard work.

Hi and welcome to Android Forums!

Good luck on your next rooting endeavor! We were all beginners at one time, so don't beat yourself up over being "new" at it. You'll have this mastered in no time.

I suggest Scotty's "Root Guide Start to Finish" sticky above the threads. It will give you the files and step-by-step you need. The All Things Root Guide will give you all the definitions for the terminology we use.

Great to have you aboard :)

Upvote 0
So just an update. The information yall gave me was great. very easy to follow. I am now to step 3 and I can not figure anything out from here. I have an app on the phone that says it is still not rooted. I cant figure this stuff out. I have a headache. All I want to do is take full advantage of my free wifi so I can use it for my tablet. When I try to install the supersu it tells me that there is no SU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it. This is a problem! So I get this error message but I dont know where to go from here.

Upvote 0
So just an update. The information yall gave me was great. very easy to follow. I am now to step 3 and I can not figure anything out from here. I have an app on the phone that says it is still not rooted. I cant figure this stuff out. I have a headache. All I want to do is take full advantage of my free wifi so I can use it for my tablet. When I try to install the supersu it tells me that there is no SU binary installed, and SuperSU cannot install it. This is a problem! So I get this error message but I dont know where to go from here.

Upvote 0
How exactly do I do that? I access recovery by pushing vol down and power at the same time?

thats one one to get there. make sure "fastboot" is unchecked in settings/power. power off. hold vol down and power until you get to hboot. select "recovery" from the hboot menu with vol rocker and power button. if you have permantly flashed your recovery,then this will take you to it.

another option to get to a permantly flashed recovery would be to plug in,open a cmd window,change to miniadb directory,and enter adb reboot recovery

if you chose to do a "temporary" recovery,then you simply need to repeat those intructions from the root guide. :)

hope that helps :)

Reactions: IBNMUDN
Upvote 0
also when I am on the hboot screen at the top it shows "tampered" & "unlocked". Is this ok or no? also once my phone is rooted what is the best way to use my tethering? also when using the wifi tether app downloaded from play it tells me sorry, but your kernel does not have all necessary features for running this application. when i try to start tether it ask if my phone is rooted. your phone is currently in an unknown state. try to reboot. any help with this. I am sure its something simple that im too stupid to figure out

Upvote 0
how will I know if my phone is rooted or not
try and use a root requiring app,and see if you get a pop up asking to grant permissions. you can also download a "root checker" app from the market.

also when I am on the hboot screen at the top it shows "tampered" & "unlocked". Is this ok or no? also once my phone is rooted what is the best way to use my tethering? also when using the wifi tether app downloaded from play it tells me sorry, but your kernel does not have all necessary features for running this application. when i try to start tether it ask if my phone is rooted. your phone is currently in an unknown state. try to reboot. any help with this. I am sure its something simple that im too stupid to figure out
tampered and unlocked are normal for an s on,unlocked phone. you get the tampered banner from running a custom kernel and/or recovery

there are many different tether apps,some have different requirments and work with different android versions. i cannot be of any help in getting this working,as it can be considered theft of a service provided by your carrier.

the info is out there,youll just need to research,or try starting up some new threads on the matter,other members can possibly be of help :)

Reactions: IBNMUDN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones