Need home screen shortcut to turn data on/offSupport

Last Updated: 2012-05-22 00:02:19
  1. JayAaroBe

JayAaroBe Member

Hi everyone, I'm new to Android but so far I love it! I just got the Droid Bionic and most things work perfectly, but there's one thing I can't figure out that's frustrating me. On my home screen, I have been able to add an icon that toggles WiFi on/off with a simple click. I want the same thing but with the "data enabled" setting but I can't figure out how to do it.

The reason is that I often times need to turn my data connection on/off for various reasons (save battery or not consume too much data, etc.).

The long and time-consuming way of enabling/disabling data is: Settings>Battery & data manger>Data delivery>Data enabled (check/uncheck).

There has to be a way to add shortcut to the home screen just like the WiFi toggle. But I tried adding a shortcut to "settings>..." and there is no option to add a shortcut for the "Data enabled" setting.

I imagine there are others like me who have encountered the same problem. Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks.
    :)

EDIT: I resolved the issue. See my post below (post # 12) for more details.

Advertisement
  2. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

3. bulla16

bulla16 Active Member

Add the Power Control widget to your home screen. It toggles WiFi, Data, Display Brightness, GPS, and Bluetooth in a simple little tool. Very easy and always on the home screen that way.
    johnlgalt likes this.
  4. MechGator

MechGator Member

The Power Control Widget has an Auto-Sync toggle but not a Data Delivery toggle. I also want to be able to completely sever the mobile data. If you toggle off the Auto-Sync it doesn't disable all data traffic.

I use Data Enabler Widget by farproc. Works perfect. Simple toggle on/off. Just like I had with my Eris/Sense.. Don't know why it isn't stock like other toggles.
    JayAaroBe and bulla16 like this.
  5. bulla16

bulla16 Active Member

Ah, my bad MechGator, thanks for the clarification.
  6. Coronach

Coronach Well-Known Member

Another way to do it would be the airplane mode toggle, though this would obviously do more than just data.
    johnlgalt likes this.
  7. marine one

marine one Well-Known Member

I'm using one called Data Enabler Widget by Farproc. It does what it says and just might be what you're looking for.
    JayAaroBe and johnlgalt like this.
  8. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

The one in the HTC phone(s) may be a customized one made by HTC as a part of Sense UI. Hence, it would explain why it is not found in Motorola phones.
  9. heatherbrooke8

heatherbrooke8 New Member

Every time I install an app, a shortcut is created on my home screen. Originally they were installing to the apps area and I could add them to my home screen if I wanted to. Now they always pop up on my home screen. How can I undo this without having to delete them every time I download something? Thanks
  10. ThorSkaagi

ThorSkaagi Well-Known Member

Try DataSwitch.
  11. Duckster

Duckster Well-Known Member

12. JayAaroBe

JayAaroBe Member

As MechGator first recommended above, I tried "Data Enabler" and it solved my issue perfectly. Thanks to everyone for your input! :)
  13. kickbutkuss

kickbutkuss Well-Known Member

Search for quick settings in the market and give it a try I really like the widget!