Need ideas: Broke my camera. Still in trial periodGeneral

1. curtisdr

curtisdr Well-Known Member

I recently purchased a S4 which I was able to root. I'm still within my trial period. Tonight, even though it was in a Slim Armour case, I was able to smash the camera lens. :mad:

I really don't want a refurbished unit or take the chance that if I send it in for repair, that it will come back with MF3 on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Advertisement
  2. motoracer1486

motoracer1486 Well-Known Member

Sell it broken and buy a new one. What does being in your trial period have to do with anything?
  3. curtisdr

I don't know if being in the trial period has any impact. I haven't been in this situation before and I'm trying to determine what my options are.
  4. shmn

shmn Well-Known Member

Your options are:

1. Take it back to where you bought it and see if they can replace the camera on site (like a Sprint store that has on-site techs).

2. Send it in for warranty repair. You may get a refurb back.

3. Find a third party repair facility that will repair your phone.

4. Get rid of it (sell or donate or gift it).

5. Play Powerball and get a winning ticket and then buy a majority holding in Samsung.

I think that's about it.

p.s. Sorry to hear about your misfortune.
  5. SirEagle

SirEagle Well-Known Member

Two more options:
    1) Go to store you bought it at and see if they will do an exchange there.
    2) Search on line for a new camera lens part and replace it yourself.
  6. curtisdr

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm not really thrilled with the idea of being stuck with a two year contract with a phone I'm not happy with -- for whatever reason. So if I canceled now, I'm not sure what would happen. I shouldn't get hit with an ETF, but who knows what they'd charge me once they see the phone or they might not even accept it. After 15 days, then it would just be the ETF I guess.
  7. wildkitten

wildkitten Well-Known Member

You may be able to buy just the board with the camera on it. If you look over at iFixit, their video show's that the S4 is very modular and very easy to repair. This could be something that you can do yourself if you buy a camera board.
  8. motoracer1486

motoracer1486 Well-Known Member

You can cancel your contract if you're in the trial, but you broke the phone and are therefore responsible for paying for it. At the end of the day, you broke the camera, so anyway you look at it you're going to take some kind of hit for it. I think your best bet is to take it in and see what it would cost to fix it.
  9. speedlever

speedlever Well-Known Member

If you bought the phone with a credit card, the card may have some coverage for lost/stolen/broken devices that may be worth exploring.
  10. SirEagle

SirEagle Well-Known Member

Replaced one on a relatives Bionic and it was a piece of cake. Just searched around online and found what was needed and a guide to replace it. Might have cost him like $25.
  11. curtisdr

Thanks for all of the replies.

I considered doing the replacement myself, and even looked at iFixit. But after some investigation, there's a local guy who does phone repair that can replace it for < $40. I should have it all fixed up by mid-week.
  12. wildkitten

That's good to know. I never really looked at how the Bionic was made to see if individual components could be replaced. The Bionic may not be activated as a phone, but I am still using is as a GPS and as a video camera as it does 1080p. The S4 does a lot better at still photos.
  13. wildkitten

It's nice too know that a phone this new can have something repaired like that for that inexpensive. Good luck.
  14. beowulf7

beowulf7 Well-Known Member

Glad to hear that you can get it repaired relatively inexpensively. Compare that to iPhones and HTC One which are very self-repair-unfriendly.
  15. curtisdr

My camera is a fixed up and ready to go! Total cost plus $10 tip was $41.80
  16. beowulf7

beowulf7 Well-Known Member

Congrats and nice of you to tip the guy.
  17. lotus49

lotus49 Well-Known Member

$40 is cheap. $31.80 is really cheap. Your repair man is very good value and he deserved a tip.

I'm glad you managed to get it sorted out at a reasonable cost.