Need Memory!

1. sammmmmy195

sammmmmy195 New Member

Hey guys,

I've got a sony ericsson xperia x10 mini pro. Great phone but crap internal memory despite having a large sd card. Unfortunately I can't install apps on my sd card as stupid SE refuse to bring out 2.2. I was having a look around my phone to see any apps that I could delete and stumbled upon an emulator that I had with roms. Some of these roms were very large but didn't take up internal memory as they were played off the sd card. Do any of you know if there is anything like an android emulator in which we wouldn't actually have to install apps to the phone, we could just have a couple of small apps which could then play off of the sd card? Also, is there any way to get 2.2 unofficially? What would the consequences be?

Failing all of that, how do I delete like the MAIN apps on the phone? It comes with loads of rubbish like google talk which I don't want, any ideas?

Advertisement
  2. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic VIP Member

Root your device, that then download titanium backup. With TB once you have root access you can delete/uninstall system apps. Once you root you can also look at an app called swapper, it allows you to partition part of your SD to act as internal memory, again root access is needed.
  3. KingOfGreen

KingOfGreen Well-Known Member

+1

But i think the swapper apps (not sure exactly what Yeahha is referring to) require a custom kernel. For the most part you can either just be happy with less apps or root. There may be custom roms that support apps2ext. Create an ext partition of your sd card where all apps will be stored. This can/will cause alot of wear especially on lower class sd cards, class 6 is preffered.
  4. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic VIP Member

http://market.android.com/details?id=org.azasoft.free.swapper

And yes a custom kernal is needed. When using it I always had a custom kernel so I didn't think about that as being a requirement. Also from what I read some will format your SD prior to making the partition so be sure to read if you want to use it.
  5. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Don't overlook cache and data for your apps as they also use internal storage.
  6. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member

Also, don't forget to clear your browser caches...

Browser > Menu > Settings > Clear cache/Clear history/etc:
  7. sammmmmy195

sammmmmy195 New Member

That's fantastic guys thanks.
    Only thing is I'm totally new to android phones and I won't ask you guys to waste your time explaining it to me, but could you maybe link me to a page on the forum or an article on another site with instructions on how to root it etc. Whatever I need to do basically :)
  8. droidman40

droidman40 Active Member

app 2 SD free is great app. tells which apps should be on SD card and has one button cache clear
  9. ironass

ironass Well-Known Member