• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Need Phone in morning! Phone start w/antitheft alarm, after enter pw it restarts

To whomever might possibly be able to help:
I am desperate for a fast resolution. About 2hrs ago I was scrolling through my programs menu, when suddenly phone restarted. When it came back on, it gave a message saying "to activate your new phone..." (w/the factory icons, etc only on the screen). Then suddenly "Avast" pops up with this extremely loud siren saying that "Warning this device has been lost or stolen". I just got password from previous owner, but as soon as enter it, app goes away & goes to the factory home screen, than reboots about 3 seconds later... and keeps on going in the same sequence.
I must have working phone by morning. What do I have to do? Yes, if there is a way to recover &save my stuff, I would prefer to, however I am desperate so if I cant easily then fine... Just tell me exactly what I must do.

Thank you for your time &assistance

If you are quick enough, you might be able to uninstall avast. If you have a Linux computer or bootable CD you can do it easy, just put the phone in download mode by holding volume down then pressing and holding power until it vibrates and plug it in to the computer. Then in Ubuntu, or what ever version you want to use, open /data, the partition around 1GB, and then /app and find avast and delete it. Then unplug the phone and remove the battery, then put the battery in and turn on the phone. There might still be some other data left but it will all be on /data and you can just search for it. Hope this helps. That is why I kinda laugh inside when one of my friends tell me they have this security thing on their phone, that will lock the phone down. A lot of them can just be uninstalled. :(

Edit: The other option is to wipe the data in recovery and that way, you will lose all of your stuff.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones