• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GSM] Need rooting (flash) help

are you rooted and running a custom recovery? if so,boot to recovery and flash a rom or restore a backup. dont forget to manually install the boot.img is your still s on.

otherwise,you may need to run an ruu. some more info on your phone may help.you can post the results of the folllowing(make sure to delete your esn,imie):

first download and install these drivers: revolutionary drivers (mirror)

then,download this small file:
mini-adb.zip

-unzip it,and place the unzipped folder onto the root of your C drive(not inside a folder)

-open a cmd window(with win 7,click start bubble,type "command" or "cmd" in hte search box)

-now change to your mini-adb directory(assuming you didnt chagne the name). type in the black cmd window that opened on your PC:
cd c:\mini-adb

-pull the battery in your phone for a few seconds. hold volume down,then power. hold them both until you see the white/colored writing hboot screen

-select "fastboot" from the hboot menu with the vol rocker/power button

-in your cmd window type:
fastboot devices

it should output your phones serial number. if so youre good to go. if not,youre apparently having a driver issue. i usually recomend these drivers from Revolutionary: modified htc drivers download and install the drivers(you should just have to run that file). afterwards,unplug your phone,plug it back in. make sure its in fastboot. as soon as you get a result from "fastboot devices" your ready to procede to the next step.

-in your cmd window,type(or copy/paste,is much easier):
fastboot getvar all

-copy the info that outputs here. right click in your cmd window,click mark,highlight it all in white. hit enter. paste the info here. it will help us know which ruu for you to run. :)

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0
I downloaded and installed all but my pc does not detect my htc so I can do the fastboot in cmd window. because when it is connected to the PC and I do the key combination to get to HBOOT it does not work. But when I remove the cable, it works; as soon as I reconnect nothing happens.
What to do? you have other way?

Upvote 0
I downloaded and installed all but my pc does not detect my htc so I can do the fastboot in cmd window. because when it is connected to the PC and I do the key combination to get to HBOOT it does not work. But when I remove the cable, it works; as soon as I reconnect nothing happens.
What to do? you have other way?

here are some adb/fastboot troubleshooting steps:
troubleshooting connectivity issues:
*make sure you have changed to your adb/fastboot directory!
*make sure usb debugging is enabled(checkmarked) to use adb in the OS
-try a reboot of the PC
-try different usb cables and ports
-dont use a usb hub
-dont use usb 3.0
-make sure nothing capable of comunicating with the phone is enabled and running. htc sync,pdanet,easy tether,and even itunes have all been known to cause issues.
-windows 8 has been known to have issues. try a windows 7 or older machine

failing the above,
-i use these drivers for fastboot and adb(donwload and run as admin): http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe (mirror)

failing that,try manually updating the drivers in the following manner:
-put the phone in fastboot mode(select fastboot from the hboot menu)
-open device manager on the PC
-plug in phone,watch for it to pop up in device manager.
-update drivers with device manager,pointing the wizard to the extracted
driver download folder from above

note that you can check the connectivity of the phone,and make sure drivers are working by in the following manner:
-open cmd window. change to directory containing adb/fastboot utilities

-adb with the phone in the booted OS,usb debug enabled,enter:
adb devices in a cmd window

-fastboot with phone in fastboot(not hboot!),enter:
fastboot devices in cmd window

in either case,a properly connected phone with working drivers installed should report back the phones serial number.

try pulling the battery first to get to hboot,then fastboot.

if you can only get to fastboot while unplugged,thats ok,just place then phone into fastboot,and then plug it in and follow the rest of the steps to get fastboot getvar all :)

Reactions: Brian706
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones