• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need Rooting Help

compy95

Lurker
Mar 2, 2011
Hey guys, sorry if this is somewhere else on the forums, but I've looked EVERYWHERE and I couldn't find a solution to my problems. I want to root my Droid (the original one). Most forums here say something about a one click root app for a small price, but those posts are outdated, and the only app I could find (Z4Mod) just lagged up my phone and didn't do anything productive. I've tried rooting by downloading the Droid2Root files and using CMD and following all those directions, but I always get some sort of authentication error, or it just freezes up. Some forums told me that this is because I'm not running the stock Android OS, but I don't know how to do a stock OS reset without actually being rooted first.. I'm afraid that if I keep poking around with it I'm gonna brick the phone completely.

So my question is...

Are there any reliable and current apps available to root my Droid? I'm running 2.2.1 FRG83D.

If there are none, can anyone link me to a current, step-by-step process to root my Droid? I'm a complete noob when it comes to this kind of thing, but I'm a quick learner, so if the directions are clear I should be fine. My problem has been that I can't find any directions that are up-to-date enough to work (I think).

Barring that, is there anyone in the Boston area reading this who would want to make some pocket money to root this baby?

Thanks!

PS. If I left out any important details (which I probably did), just ask!

Upvote 0
soup or root 2.06 beta works as well... i just used it on mine and my brothers droid 2 global... just plug your droid into the usb port of your computer and turn on debugging on your droid then run the program, it may take 2 consecutive tries but it always works. heres is a link for it..
Versions Soup or Root's Official Blog!!
debugging is found under settings/applications/development/usb debugging.
this app also does not show up as a virus and its easy to use.:p

Upvote 0
The droid forum thread is what i used to root my droid and my friends droid. It's very detailed (good thing) but I was still apprehensive about rooting so I looked at a lot of videos on rooting. This is one video that helped me understand the instructions. The video quality is poor and out of focus but I followed the instructions and it came out successfully.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0gujjtGzEZw

good luck! when you are finally rooted, you're gonna wish you did it sooner.

Upvote 0
[APP]SuperOneClick v1.7 (Root, Unroot, Enable Non-Market App) - xda-developers
you have to register at xda forums. download the super one click link. find the file under downloads. extract all. connect usb cable. do not mount SD card. make sure debugging is checked on. Find the file you extracted and double click the super one click file. It's the android with the red glow around it. that will open the folder to root phone. before you click root, up in the top right make sure rageagainstthecage exploit is selected. click Root and that should do it. It was that easy for me.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones