• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Need S-ON

n3ck0man

Lurker
Mar 3, 2012
Hi!, I'm new in these forums and I thought I'd ask for some help: This is my dilemma: I rooted my EVO about 1.5 years ago using unrevok3d. Now I need to return my EVO because it contains what I believe are bad NAND blocks. Unfortunately I can't access recovery no matter what i do. I've flashed CWM, Amon-Ra to no avail. My EVO just bootloops endlessly. Now I need to put my phone on S-ON and can't do it from recovery. I've only found the 'unrevoked-forever-son' as a recovery flash only file. I need to flash it from HBOOT. How to do the zip file? can someone help? Thanks.

PS. Sorry if I posted on the wrong forum. If so, Admin please move accordingly. Thanks.

Hi!, I'm new in these forums and I thought I'd ask for some help: This is my dilemma: I rooted my EVO about 1.5 years ago using unrevok3d. Now I need to return my EVO because it contains what I believe are bad NAND blocks. Unfortunately I can't access recovery no matter what i do. I've flashed CWM, Amon-Ra to no avail. My EVO just bootloops endlessly. Now I need to put my phone on S-ON and can't do it from recovery. I've only found the 'unrevoked-forever-son' as a recovery flash only file. I need to flash it from HBOOT. How to do the zip file? can someone help? Thanks.

PS. Sorry if I posted on the wrong forum. If so, Admin please move accordingly. Thanks.

ok what you might need to do is try a gingerbread ruu. this will give you a new hboot and from there you can try to flash the s-on via PC36IMG in hboot and then from there re-flash the ruu again to finish the unroot. you will need a card reader.

1. download this: http://db.tt/RVP99EJ9 rename it to PC36IMG. make sure that you do not add an extra .zip as windows hides extensions.

2.transfer the file over to the card. do not put it in a folder.

3.pull the battery out or power off then press and hold power+vol down

4.this will take you to the bootloader and if the file is named right and it is on the card and not in a folder, it should find the file and select yes to update.

5.once done select no to boot and verify that your hboot has changed to 2.16.

6. if that worked then next step is to go to http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html and go to the unrooting section.

7.do not flash the radio as you do not have a recovery. also delete the old PC36IMG file off of the card. and follow directions from there.

not really sure if this will work, but it is worth a try.

Reactions: MizzouBrent
Upvote 0
ok what you might need to do is try a gingerbread ruu. this will give you a new hboot and from there you can try to flash the s-on via PC36IMG in hboot and then from there re-flash the ruu again to finish the unroot. you will need a card reader.

1. download this: http://db.tt/RVP99EJ9 rename it to PC36IMG. make sure that you do not add an extra .zip as windows hides extensions.

2.transfer the file over to the card. do not put it in a folder.

3.pull the battery out or power off then press and hold power+vol down

4.this will take you to the bootloader and if the file is named right and it is on the card and not in a folder, it should find the file and select yes to update.

5.once done select no to boot and verify that your hboot has changed to 2.16.

6. if that worked then next step is to go to http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html and go to the unrooting section.

7.do not flash the radio as you do not have a recovery. also delete the old PC36IMG file off of the card. and follow directions from there.

not really sure if this will work, but it is worth a try.

Thanks will try that and will post later my findings!

Upvote 0
Just curious.... But this sounds a lot like boot loop of death.

Were you on an aosp rom?

Well yes!, I was on OMGB for a while and got bored and changed recoveries from Amon-RA because it wasn't formating well, to CWM touch in order to flash the latest ICS for EVO. I tried AOKP and wiped it because Chrome wasn't working then flashed the latest Deck's ICS and well after a day I started getting these bootloops. With that said I'm not trying to blast any developer. I believe all these ROMs I tried are excellent in their own way. It just happened to bootloop with the latest ROM i installed. Thanks.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones