• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root need setup help

Please HELP... I've read a bunch of ways to do things but I don't know witch way is the best way for my setup because some say if you're fully rooted do this if you're this then do that, it driving me crazy!:mad:
I would just like to go back to factory setting because I need to return the phone do to blown speakers. I'm a NEWBEE to all this so I don't know much. All I know is that I rooted my phone using unrevoked (I think it was unrevoked3) I was surprised I did it.:eek: Anyhow I only rooted the phone to use the free wireless tethering. Now I want to remove root but I don't know how, I tried it but didn't work, after reboot I was still rooted.:mad: I was thinking of just bringing it in like that, but the Superuser Permission widget is a dead giveaway I CAN'T find any way to remove it. So if anyone can be so kind to help me in ANYWAY it would be GREATLY appreciated.:D Thanks a bunch in advanced!

Here I give you all the info I think you might need to direct me in the right way.

PS: I did the mistake and never backed up anything before rooting. Just backed up using Rom Manager and Super Manager after the fact.

Phone info:
Evo 4G
Hardware ver. 0003
Android ver. 2.2
Base ver. 2.15.00.09.01
Kernel ver. 2.6.32.15.ge2fb08e Htc_kernel AT and18-2#11
Build # 3.29.651.5 cl252548 Release key
Software # 3.29.651.5
Browser ver. webkit 3.1
PRI.V 1.77_003
PRL.V 60675

ClockWorkMod Recovery v2.5.0.1
Supersonic EVT2-3 Ship s-on
Hboot 0.97.0000
Microp 041f
Touch Panel ATMELC03-16AC
Radio 2.15.00.09.01

There are two steps to unrooting (when you've rooted with unrevoked, that is). You did the s-on part, which is good, but whatever method you used to undo the rest must not have worked. For one, it would have replaced recovery with the stock one, plus it would have wiped out your ROM, uninstalling all user apps, and changing settings to default. It sounds like that second part didn't work for you. What file did you use? There are two ways to do it. One is a RUU, which is an executable you would run from a PC with your phone connected via USB. A much better options is a PC36IMG.zip file. These files are basically automated ways of flashing to all internal partitions on the phone. You'd want one with the contents of a RUU, that matches your hboot version. In your case, you want this one:

MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

Rename that file to PC36IMG.zip, exactly. Copy it to the top level of your sdcard (not under any folders). Turn the phone off, then turn it back on while pressing and holding volume down to get to hboot. It should scan for the file and as you to flash it.

That being said, I've heard reports that a lot of people can't seem to flash this one file. I *think* it might be due to bad certs. If it seems like it's scanning for the file, but just doesn't work, open the file while booted up (do *not* unzip it), and delete the META-INF directory, then try again.

Reactions: topchoice617
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones