• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Verizon] Need Some "For Dummies" Help

CoyotesFan4Evr

Android Enthusiast
Apr 15, 2011
Phoenix
OK, so I have read the threads on here that touch on the subject and I have read a few threads over on XDA that in a more complicated way attempt to tell me how to fix my phone. Now all I have done is root my phone. That's it! Phone has been awesome with stock rooted. I changed to a different launcher just to try different stuff. In the past when I first rooted I did TRY to flash a custom recovery but it wouldn't take so I stopped. I did try to go into the custom recovery just to see if it was there but it wasn't. Now to the heart of the issue. This new Verizon update that just came out. I read about it on here saw people with success that were stock rooted and proceeded to check for it, download it, and install it. Well at the install point is where things go bad. Phone shuts off, turns back on and I get the LG screen. Great I think it's all going good. Nope. I get a black screen with Error: boot certification verify Secure booting error cause: boot certification. After that goes away I have a black back lit screen of nothingness. I can't get into download mode, I can't get to bootloader mode. I tried the download mode thing of having the phone off and then holding volume up while plugging it into my laptop, but all that gets me an a series of windows with every letter of the alphabet for a drive name stating that I need to format the drive. I'm trying to get Ubuntu to work but I'm having to put it on a flash drive. I'm hoping that will work because on my laptop it wouldn't install the last file, told me permissions denied. And I don't have a CD big enough to put it on. So can someone please slow down my brain and tell me what I need to do?? Or am I doing the right stuff now? Because my thing is, I didn't want this phone in the first place, it's not even 3 months old, and I'm not a stranger to flashing and rooting and modding phones. I've been doing it since the HTC Droid Eris which is still in my drawer and works!!

If you have a boot loop, no recovery and no download mode, you'll have to try the Ubuntu fix. Be careful if you're following the "no recovery, no download mode" thread on XDA that you're using VZW files instead of D802 files. Also, you really only need to flash laf and aboot instead of all those mentioned.

You can't just place an iso on a usb stick. There is software out there that will convert the iso to a bootable format on your usb stick. You need to use that.

edit:
Here is perhaps the easiest solution for creating a Linux live disc:
http://www.pendrivelinux.com/universal-usb-installer-easy-as-1-2-3/

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
Well, I now have a total brick. Since it won't do anything at all I suppose I'll just contact Verizon again and get a replacement sent out. This is very depressing. I lost a bunch of stuff on that phone, especially pictures. Oh well, I guess. I learned a lot with the whole Ubuntu and such. Which I did finally get going by the way. Damn this sucks.

Upvote 0
Well, I now have a total brick. Since it won't do anything at all I suppose I'll just contact Verizon again and get a replacement sent out. This is very depressing. I lost a bunch of stuff on that phone, especially pictures. Oh well, I guess. I learned a lot with the whole Ubuntu and such. Which I did finally get going by the way. Damn this sucks.

You have no doubt tried pressing and holding the power button for 15 seconds to turn off entirely right? And then tried entering download mode from a powered off state? No recognition in Windows device manager now either?

May I ask what you flashed?

Reactions: bberryhill0
Upvote 0
I tried all of that yes. All I flashed was the fix that is posted over on XDA. I followed the instructions to the letter. My best guess is that since the phone wouldn't recognize that it was plugged in either to the wall or the computer so that it would take a charge it died on me. I was trying to do all of the flashing the night after it boot looped. I was on a full charge and since I had to wait for Ubuntu to install and such I set it down leaving the phone plugged in thinking it would take a charge anyways but didn't. So in turn it died after I was almost done with the code. This in turn killed it. I didn't flash anything that wasn't for my model of phone. I made sure of that. That's how I bricked my wife's old S3. I can't bring that thing back at all. I tried the homemade jig and the ebay one and it wouldn't work. I don't have the money to send it off for repair. But hey it only took one day to get my new phone. I got it today, and I have it fully charged, just waiting for power up and activation. Once I finish some other stuff on the computer I will fire it up and start setting it up for me, then root it. Still might not do a custom Rom because I'm not sold on the whole bootstack thing. Might get with a friend and we can do it together.

Upvote 0
OK, so same thread different issue. So I rooted my old LG G2 without much problem. This one however I'm not able to do anything with. I have the right program, I'm running it, my phone responds by shutting down but instead of the boot menu I get the black screen with the android guy and the triangle. Now I seem to remember getting that before but I'm not totally sure how I got past it to the boot menu I need in order to sideload and all that like is says to do for the root. Now I've watched 3 videos on how to root and every single one of them are for "all variants" however not one of them shows it being done with a Verizon phone which is the one I have. For whatever reason....no one wants to show that one. So, uh can ya guys help me out here please? I'd like to get back to being rooted so I can blow off this annoying bloat on my phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones