Need some help on a dilema

Last Updated:

1. phenom01

phenom01 Active Member This Topic's Starter

I currently have the sidekick lx 2008 (i know shitty phone) and i wanted to get an andorid phone. I am not on a contract and ive been with tmobile for over 2 years. My question is should i got ahead and get the contract to get the phone for cheap, or should i buy the phone separate and get the plan for cheap?

Advertisement
  2. yatimameiji

yatimameiji Well-Known Member

Well its a bit more complicated then that.

Just cus you go no contract doesn't mean you cant get a phone for 'cheap.' On contract you pay a subsidy that is included in your service price that you pay per month. This makes for a moderate up front cost with a moderate monthly payment.

You can go no contract and pay for the phone outright and have a huge up front cost but you spend less per month.

But there is a third option. You go no contract and installment plan. Depending on your history with Tmo, they can give you a credit line so you can pay off a phone for 20months. This way its kinda like the best of both. You dont have such a huge up front cost, and you may not pay as much per month on the contract plan.

3. phenom01

If i get the phone with contract i pay $40 (500 minutes + unlimit text). So thats $40 x 24 months = 960 + $500 (for phone) = 1460 in 2 years. Now if i get it with a contract it cost $50 (unlimit text and 500 minutes) = 1200 + $200 for phone = 1400. To me it looks like i save $60. Am i doing something wrong with my math or logic?

4. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

You're math is off, but to your advantage.

On contract, you would be required to have the data package which will set you back 30/mo.

I do believe you have your answer.

5. phenom01

i thought if i was already a 2 year contract customer, i wouldnt be forced to get the data plan.

6. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

Any phone discount reqquires renewing the contract. With a smart phone comes the required data plan.

7. phenom01

so lets say if i have connections with tmobile and i can get a balckberry without contract, would that be the best deal? Sorry im slow when it comes to this stuff

8. Swizz

Swizz Well-Known Member

Any way to avoid a contract is the best deal. The only time no contract pays off is when it comes to family plans with 3 or more lines.